• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hello again,

Ok, the million dollar question: can I get away with keeping yellow scroll coral or some other lower key SPS coral with 29 gallon tank with two 65 Watt PCs and a protein skimmer?
Thanks

Inno

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend it and even if you could you more than likely wouldn't get good coloration most seek.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee, I dunno- I think you might be ok with that lighting for that coral and Monti. digitata etc. Just place em up high in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, basically, everyone here's a fan of MH.... Man, why cant I ever get it right and straight off the bat? 130 watts isnt enough? for a 29G? I heard that the skimmer is really whats going to save me... I dont know anymore; everyone in this blasted hobby seems to deliberately contradict, undermine, or oppose anothers opinion, though most everyone here has the civility to at least maintain a pleasant mood. Oh well, Im gonna try it anyway. Thats what they say; when there no one to lead, you really cant be lead astray. Or along the right path, necessarily, either, but whatever.

Inno

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has even mentioned mh's so...lol You mention scroll coral, which usually need high lighting and advanced care...if you are talking about the one I'm thinking of *damn common names these days*...low light sps would probably be fine, but like I said, don't expect brilliant coloration such as blue's, purple's etc :)

*Just for your info, I'm not a mh fan either :P

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drew, my experience suggests to me that 130W over a 29 gallon will suffice for some of the hardier SPS corals. It's not as powerful as MH, no doubt, but it's not shabby either. A yellow scroll coral, whether it be Tubinaria sp or Monitpora sp., should do fine under your lights.

I know what you mean about contradictory opinions. There's so many hobbyists with so many unique experiences it's bound to happen. As long as we're all respectful about it and share our thoughts, I think we're in good shape :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Tubinara peltata in my tank under 130W PC...personally im gonna go MH just becuz i wanna keep some of the prettier SPS..the ones that require more intense lighting...

psiico

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a guy on another forum I frequent who's signature says something like "the only thing 2 reefers can agree on is that the third is doing something wrong."

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow; so it works for some of you out there, huh? Ill have to admit, as impetuous and foolhardy as I am, I was going to try it anyway... That makes me feel better about it though.
Len, youre so right about the respect part; too many hobbies have I wandered through, only to hear the door slam behind me, or in my face, ocassionally. Its fundamental that we maintain our definition as social creatures, and respect is inherent in any functioning society or group. Also, what about placement of the corals, would you say? As in what DanConnor said about placing them high up in the tank... Is placing a yellow scroll closer to the lights necessarily as good as more intense light?
Inno, no one has ever mentioned MH? I assume you mean within this thread, right? Because Ive seen constant debate and discourse regarding Metal Halides on this site. Just so you know, its no that Im not a fan of MH, really, its just that I'm probably economically inferior to a lot of people here; plus, I already ordered the freakin PCs. A little late to try and swim upstream again, so to speak.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does anyone know where in the world the pumping xenia comes from, geographically speaking? And, would they do okay with 130 Watts PC and a protein skimmer in a 29G?
Thanks

rwoolley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also got Xenia in my tank doing very well. I have the Tubinaria peltata in the lower half of my tank, the Xenia about midway, but I'm not conviced placement would make too much difference. I'll post a few pics later.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pumping Xenia...one variety i believe comes from the Red Sea...areas of the south pacific also im sure...yes they will do fine under PC's thats also another coral i have that seems to grow like a weed under PC

K9coral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this some sort of scroll coral? If it is, it is doing fine under PC lighting. Usually the polyps are sticking out all over the thing.

Attachments

• mini-ruffledridge coral 1-04.jpg
    mini-ruffledridge coral 1-04.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,026

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: