• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

T

twwfish

I have a 55g set up with live rock. I just had two of my fish die about a month ago from ICH. They were new to the tank. I did not use a quarintine tank like I should've. But anyways, I still have two damsels and a snowflake eel that show no signs of anything. Is the ich gone or do I have to set up a hospital tank and get my remaining fish out? I am going to set up a hospital tank as soon as I have some money but in the mean time how can I make sure the ICH is gone?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rdo_welcome.gif

Sorry to hear about the two fish. If your existing fish are not symptomatic, I'd wait another month or so before reintroducing new fish. If you don't have much inverts in the tank, I also recommend slowly bringing down the specific gravity to 1.009. After two weeks, slowly bring it back up to 1.025-1.027. This treatment call hyposalinity works to rid Ich as well.

There is an outstanding 5 part series in the online publication www.advancedaquarist.com . Click Archives then browse the Aquarium Fish section. The five articles started end of last year and ended recently, all written by Terry Bartelme. Great info.

KNIGHT5272

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to hear about the fish but the best way to relieve ICH is a QT tank, I know its expensive but if you want to get your moneys worth on your fish, this is the best way to go. Take all your fishes into a QT tank and wait 6 weeks (I know really long time) but this how long it takes for ICH to die off when it does not find hosts. I believe you can never rid your tank of all ICH but you can certainly reduce the loss of fish through the QT tank. If there is no way you can get a QT tank in time, I suggest using some of the Kent Garlic Xtreme because it does build the immune system of your fish from parasites like ICH. Also you maybe able to use Paraguard by Seachem which is copper free in case you have inverts but I know for a fact that it will kill anemones (personal experience) just not worth the risk if you have anemones but it did ok for my snails and crabs. Speaking of also, if your tank is a non-agressive which proably isnt because of your eel, skunk cleaner shrimps are awesome at eating ich. I have a couple and are always cleaning my fish. One more suggestion would be a Freshwater dip but I've always feared this method but many people have contested that it works. Good Luck

Baianotang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ich is a Very hard natsy parasite that is not an easy to beat enemy, the battle is too painful and long to post...
Learn about the hyposaline treatment.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: