• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a Soft Coral tank with out a Skimmer

Happy Friday everyone,
As you know I have a 90 gall with only three pieces of soft corals, I want to hear everyone thought on running the tank without a protein Skimmer!

I have unplugged mine for a day now, the sump I have only contains chemipure carbon, with filter socks.
"Once again what's your thought on running a 90 gallon without a Protein Skimmer"

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
You can do it... I ran without a skimmer for 2 years, but was heavy on the water changes and always utilized carbon and GFO. But do keep in mind that it is not an easy task and constant maintenance is going to be key to sustaining the livestock.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Doesn't seem like too much of a bioload to me.If you do frequent water changes you shouild be fine. I have run quite a few tanks with out a skimmer and had no problem. But I should also add that they were easy tanks with hardy corals and very few fish.

Sorry wasn't considering the size of the Tangs (fish) which would influence the bioload!Also just
noticed one was A Naso which can get very large indeed...and may not be good with the hippo...

Just curious why you want to avoid using the skimmer???

Last edited:

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
been in this hobby for about 10+ years, never ran a skimmer until the last 2 - 3 years. skimmers are helpful but not needed. keep up with the water changes and you are good

Ligershark

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
on a much smaller scale, i have a 20H that only has a small aquaclear, heater, and maxi jet 1200 on it. 4-5 gallon water changes once a week, my nitrates are around 15-30ppm, i use gfo and a little carbon in the aquaclear. have a sand bed and very little live rock. everything is happy

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
431   2   0
a small skimmer wont kill you, i have a small bubble magus on my lps tank and it takes out some crap and leaves the rest behind, less work for me. If you don't want a skimmer then you will have to a water change at least once a week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: