• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have a nikon d-40. I just busted the kit lens that I have been shooting with for over a year. I want to replace with an inexpensive lens that will do the job. I was going to purchase an 18-55VR lens to replace my non VR lens.
I don't need anything crazy but if you guys think there is a better lens for the money that will do the same thing, I am open for suggestions :)

Last edited:

olivier

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Rich, i would suggest go with a 18-200VR, a very good all around lens.. But if you want to take macro shots :rolleyes::rolleyes:, then you need to get a real Macro lens, ;)

for a general all around lens, I definetely agree with Rich.

if you want something cheap in the range of $200, a second hand Nikon 18-70mm AFS G lens is a better choice in compare to 18-55mm lens. 18-70 give you a good walk around lens from super wide angle to telephoto for portrait. sharpness is better in compare to 18-55 and built, feel better as well. I have 18-55 and sold it. I like the 18-70.

if you can push a little more $, then go with 18-200mm VR lens. cost you about $450 second hand.

Questions you should consider when buy second hand lens.
1) any optic separation? noise and rattle
2) fungus, particles, scratch, dirt/dust on optic, shinny particles impose lens mechanical problem
3) focus ring stiffness
4) ding & dent (this is important because it tell you the lens was drop or not and is it critical area or not as well)

Optic Check: open the lens to its max aperature and look into it with strong light source to inspect for scratch, dust, fungus within optics

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: