• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
do your angels pic at the gonopora?
I have a goldflake and a regal that are kept well fed they devour Zoos though

I only have the centropyge joculators, and they do not pick on the LPS or the SPS for that matter. The dwarf angels are a lot less harmful to corals. I am not sure I would trust the larger angels with zoos or some expensive LPS.

sanjay.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I have always believed in the keeping it simple approach. In spite of being an engineer and a technology geek to some extent, when it come to my aquariums I take the opposite approach. The simpler the better. I have learned not to fight the system, and enjoy and appreciate the colors that I get - rather than try to get the whole coral to color up in colors that only show up in macro pics. I put a lot of different frags early on, and then The ones that like my system live on and prosper and others that don't move on to coral heaven. Of course all this has come from learning from 17 years of mistakes. ! This is the zen of reef keeping that most old reef keepers have achieved and the new comers fail to grasp :splitspin

The equipment is rather minimal - just using a protein skimmer, and Calcium Reactor, with carbon (ROX 0.8) and GFO (Warner Marine PhoSar HC or regular one from Bulk reef supply) in flow through filters.

Water changes more recently have been slacking off.. do about 60G once a month. I really should do water changes once every 2 weeks. Nothing solves problems with water quality like a good water change.

I do not use any other supplements. If I do need to top of the Ca and Mg I use Randy's recipe's. I don't know the last time I tested any levels. I can just tell now by looking at the tank that the alkalinity could be low, then I pull out the test kit to see by how much so I can adjust.

But I do like to feed the tank well. Use Pacifica Plankton, cyclopeeze, mysis shrimp and several ReefNutrition products (oyster eggs, arti pods, phytofeast etc). With occasional use of live blood worms - have to keep some of angels really healthy and fat, given that they have been spawning every day for several months now.

Clean the glass when a film of algae develops and it bothers me when I look at the tank.

Really, the tank runs itself and I don't have to do much with it.

sanjay.

Thank you Sanjay! Good to know that I am not crazy.;)LOL I had made the same decision for my tank, I won't "fight the system" "let natural selection take its course. The ones that like my system live on and prosper and others that don't move on to coral heaven." For starters the guilt behind an animal dying in my care is more then I can bare and then there is the $$ wasted.;)

Finances as well as fear of technology have kept my system "simple".lol Great to read you state " I have always believed in the keeping it simple approach." Protein Skimmer, 2 TwoLittleFishies reactors running Rox carbon and PhoSar (or now GFO from BulkReefSupply.com), AquaDoser for B-Ionics 1 & 2 (switching to 2 Part from BulkReefSupplies now) and Aqua Hub ATO is all that runs my system as well as 40g. water changes. I try for weekly water changes, but lately it is more like monthly.:(

This is what I tell those who show an interest in keeping a SW tank, but think that they are so much work. "Really, the tank runs itself and I don't have to do much with it."

Thanks again!!

Be blessed,

Awilda:hug:

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Some latest fish pics for your enjoyment

female-negroensis-010609.gif

male-negroensis-010609.gif

serranus-010609.gif

bellus-010609.gif

marginalis-010609.gif

naso-010609.gif

starry-blenny-010609.gif

chvynva916

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Prof! You probably don't remember me, but I was one of the PSU aquarium volunteers for a few years when the tank was first installed (almost 10 years ago!). To this day, you're reef advice ranks among my favorites: "If it doesn't want to live in my tank, I didn't want it there anyway."

:)

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hey Prof! You probably don't remember me, but I was one of the PSU aquarium volunteers for a few years when the tank was first installed (almost 10 years ago!). To this day, you're reef advice ranks among my favorites: "If it doesn't want to live in my tank, I didn't want it there anyway."

:)

Well, it would have helped my aging memory some, if there was a real name attached somewhere to your post.

Thanks for helping with the PSU tank.. its looking awesome right now.

sanjay.

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Sanjay,

How deep is your sand bed?

Why you choose sand bed over bare bottom?

James

James:

I just don't like the look of barebottom. Plus I like to keep fish like wrasses and gobies that like the sand. Additionally since I was going with very little rock (only like 250 lbs) I wanted more surface area that the sand provides for bacterial growth.

The sand bed was set up as about 1.5", but it got blown around is now deeper in some places and shallower in other places. Where it blew off the bottom completely I put coarse sand.

sanjay.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: