• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

investigator1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was warming up my truck this morning and I saw this bad boy. I had to take a picture. It is about 8" long with legs stretched. I would have caught him and kept him as a pet in an aquarium if I wasn't living with my fiance'.

Attachments

• big ass spider.jpg
    big ass spider.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,629
  • big ass spider underside.jpg
    big ass spider underside.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,638
  • big ass spider 2.jpg
    big ass spider 2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,644

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw one of those gargantuan bird eating spiders at a petshop-it was stupid big, and it asnt even full grown. The last htig id wana run into. 8O :!: :eek:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bird-eaters can get up to 18"...everyone should have one. :D

I just got a spider that I haven't posted pics of. I'll have to do that today...

Peace,

Chip

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen a spider like that, heres one I shot.

Attachments

• spider1.jpg
    spider1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,553

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big black and yellow spider is commonly called a Chineese Writing spider. The scientific name escapes me. If you observe them they will leave what looks like "writing" in their web. They arne't poisonous, but I bet it would still give ya a nice rise. They are VERY common in the southern states. You'll see them a lot in the early morning.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you posted the proper link above (on the second try), its just that the yahoo photos either a) doesn't allow linking from outside or b) the URL you need to copy is different for public viewing than private viewing.

Wade

KKs'dad

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, I told you I took a picture of a cool looking spider. I have no idea what kind of spider this is. Size and shape of a Black Widow, but check out those stripes and colors???

100_0656%20copy5.jpg

BTW thanks Wade for the heads up 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool bugs. I came across a rather large web but the owner was not at home. I went back the next day and the web was gone 8O

BMP

Attachments

• caught 11.jpg
    caught 11.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,436

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
investigator1":32heihb6 said:
It is about 8" long with legs stretched.

Dude, your ruler is broken. That's an Argiope spider, they are pretty big but nowheres near 8". How about 3" full legspan?

marillion":32heihb6 said:
Bird-eaters can get up to 18"...

What is going on in this thread? Those Goliath Bird-eating are the biggest spider (Theraphosa blondi) but they are nowheres near 18". How about 11" full legspan?

Arch01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John_Brandt":332cn4hl said:
investigator1":332cn4hl said:
It is about 8" long with legs stretched.

Dude, your ruler is broken. That's an Argiope spider, they are pretty big but nowheres near 8". How about 3" full legspan?

Yeah, I've seen quite a few of those spiders, but never one more than 2" or so. Either way, they are still creepy.

z_rivers

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are also called bananna spiders because of theyre yellow color. if you want a see a big spider, check this out.

clock-spider-3.jpg

clock-spider-2.jpg

clock-spider-1.jpg
[/img]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: