• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some jellyfish shots I took at the aquarium. The better quality ones will become wallpapers (which, FYI, restarts February).

Attachments

• jelly_rdo.jpg
    jelly_rdo.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,745

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe. Took a dinner break between posting. Here's we go again:

Attachments

• jelly_rdo3.jpg
    jelly_rdo3.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,731

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last one. I'll save a handful for wallpapers. This ones a little blurry cuz this bugger was ansty and wouldn't stop moving.

Attachments

• jelly_rdo2.jpg
    jelly_rdo2.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,722

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine, I lied. One more, though again, not very sharp.

Attachments

• jelly_rdo4.jpg
    jelly_rdo4.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,711

Wampatom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pictures of the jellies. Did you rely on the public aquarium lights or did you use your own strobe? The light seems to change between pictures.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

Wampatom, I relied solely on the ambient light which was usually very dim. The only exception is the last photo, where the lighting was significantly brighter and the jelly was housed in a tank with blue background. Everything was spot metered.

TS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great shots Len. I'm interested in how you stopped the motion- or did the jellies do that themselves? :)

No flash you say.... very fast lens? very high ISO? tripod? All three I would imagine... let me know. Great work!

T

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!

I was surprised to read you didn't strobe those. Incredible shots!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the delayed response guys. I was away for the weekend.

Ya, these were shot at the Long Beach Aquarium.

Travis, I shot these with ISO @ 800, F2.8, 1/15-1/30 second shutter, and monopod mounted. All were spot metered. I had to take a bunch of photos to get a few to turn out. Next time, I'm going with a tripod and a few other lens; these were just snap-shooting, but I got lucky on a few.

As for a book, I don't think the 2 people that'd buy it (shag and myself) would justify the publishing costs ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, Len. What kind of camera are you using again? D10?

I'm curious about your shots also. It could be my camera, but I can't shoot in ISO 800 and get pics that nice. The dark areas come out so noisy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: