• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos in the contest are simply stunning. Apparently people think so too since it's got well over 1000 views in a short week :P I can't wait to see what turns up in future contests/assignements!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed. I couldn't come up with one I felt worthy of posting alongside those.

I've only owned a digicam for less than a week, though. 8) The newbie tips I've read in the photo forums help a lot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minime":3718fngm said:
Yes indeed. I couldn't come up with one I felt worthy of posting alongside those.

I've only owned a digicam for less than a week, though. 8) The newbie tips I've read in the photo forums help a lot.

That's good to hear. That's the kind of feedback we're looking for! :D

NKT

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Minime, please don't hesitate to post any pics you have. After all, we're all here to learn, right? Maybe by showing us, someone browsing the board will have just the right technique to get you on the right track. Also, this way it may help others who are also in your situation. :) So, post away! hehe

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
NKT":12crchi9 said:
Minime, please don't hesitate to post any pics you have. After all, we're all here to learn, right? Maybe by showing us, someone browsing the board will have just the right technique to get you on the right track. Also, this way it may help others who are also in your situation. :) So, post away! hehe

Yes, that's very true. It turns out a few of us that are now hanging out here in the photography forums are also members of a couple photography critique sites, and if there's one thing I've really taken away from this whole process of learning about photography, it's that there's always more to learn, and there's no harm or shame in showing a picture that you know is flawed, even if you don't know what that flaw is. A fresh set of eyes is often just what's needed to get over that hump.

Plus, if you're just starting out with photography (tank or otherwise), like NKT says, show us your stuff and we can all collaborate on how to make it better...as a photographer it really helps you improve by leaps and bounds.

Cheers,
John

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK - here's an early attempt. I am using a Canon PowerShot S50. This camera has limitations for macro work- but the resolution allows me to crop a lot, as I have done here.

In the early going, my biggest difficulty is focusing. Autofocus doesn't cut it for aquarium or any macro shots, and I'm finding manual focus in the digital world to be very clumsy. This one came out pretty sharp, though.

Attachments

• baby frog iib.jpg
    baby frog iib.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 3,979
A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Heh, naturally I committed the dreaded phat photo sin on my first posting - oh well.

NKT

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Brian, I don't know what you're complaining about, but that pic looks pretty darn good to me. :) Nice and sharp, good color saturation, seems like your camera's doing a pretty good job.
Oftentimes a camera will not focus properly if there isn't enough light on the subject...something I've tried is to sit the camera on a tripod, and use a flashlight to illuminate whatever I'm trying to take to see if the camera will focus better.
If you're using manual, it might be a good idea to bracket your shot (that is, take pictures using focus settings greater and less than what you think might be focused). Try that, and see if your results improve. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions NKT. I'll try the focus bracketing first, the camera has a feature to do that automatically.

Now if I can find a way to get the fish to sit still and smile for the camera...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love the little 'baby' polyp-heads back in the 'cave' area. Very cool capture.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: