• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know about freshwater or good sites?? i have a freshwater since aug 9th.. my cycle been taking for ever my ammo just went to 0 the other 2 are high as hell.. i wanted to know when or how should i clean the filters..

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I know too much about FW..lol.
What size tank do you have & what filtration are you running in it?
Your cycle isn't over til your ammonia & nitrites are at zero.
Have you fed anything to the tank to help it cycle...like 2 or 3 small pieces of flake food every few days?
In order for a tank to cycle which very basically means growing the good bacteria in it, you need to feed the bacteria. If you don't they will die.
How high are your nitrites and nitrates?

As long as you do not have any fish in there (I sure hope not...) you can allow it to continue to cycle by adding the food I mentioned above. You also shouldn't have to change the filters or clean them at this point either.

Any idea what type of fish you plan to keep?
Two more questions - what material is your substrate? What type of test kits are you using?

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL i was a bad girl with the FW i had no idea wut i was doing... i hav a 20g High i have 2 filters a 20g whisper and 20g aquaclear.. i did put fish in like retard but i didnt know any better.....my ammo finally hit 0 this week( had the tank since aug 9th) my nirite and nirate was high tnough the but both are =kinda comming down.. im not sure wut kidna fish i want, i think alot of the fish i hav no are going to die, some stopped eating,,,i like cherry barbs

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do a water change..it will make your cycle run longer, but in the meantime as you say, you are killing the fish in there.
You cannot be having nitrate & nitrate 'come down' at the same time.
The basic cycle is 1st ammonia builds, then nitrite increases as ammonia decreases. Eventually ammonia goes to zero as nitrite continue to increase. Next nitrates appear and will increase until the nitrite is zero.

I find nothing funny about what you have done to the fish in this tank. I would suggest you take the fish back to the store you bought them in and properly cycle the tank before you add another living creature to it.
I would also suggest you purchase a good book..one of the 'Dummies' series books for FW tanks or 'The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums' by David Boruchowitz BEFORE you go any further in this hobby.

If you do decide to go forward with a FW tank, it would be best to know what type of fish you would like to keep as some FW fish have different requirements than others.

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i mean i kinda hav clue now..well the nirite stay'd the smae abnd the nirate color got alitghter IDK..i put way tomany fish in when i started it..i though i was going to make my 55 a fw but then i did sw witch was the best thing ever..i really just like the cherry barbs and ml;ike maybe a sword tail or molly.. i havent looked at fw in a while

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just so upset that many fished died, and i was having so many probs...i had to do like water cahgnes everyday..using ammo lock..but once i sarted to wait withthe water changes like every 3 or 4 days it started the cycle, i notice the fish werent eating when the ammo went away..some starting eating but a few arent

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and another thing is 20 g kinda sucks cuz you cant do alot or atleast web sites so i cant do to much, even a 55 is small for a sw..the whole reason i did sw was cuz of clowns witch are fine, but i like the hippo tang..and i cant put it in there

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The use of Ammolock will give you a zero ammonia reading. It does NOT mean there is no ammonia in the tank.
Both ammonia & nitrites will kill fish.
You need to purchase liquid test kits. The strips are incredibly inaccurate.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Lets see if I could help here.

The need of a cycled tank before live stock.

Ammonia and nitrite will kill fish,so we try to eliminate them. Using most chemicals only take care of the issue temperarily and therefore, we look for a natural long term way to handle it-a properly cycled tank. In a properly cycled tank, the bacteria that takes out ammonia will be of utmost important, therefore, we have to promote the growth of them. These bacteria will turn ammonia into nitrite. However,when nitrite is high, fish also die. Therefore, we need another way to take out the nitrite. There is a temperary fix - add a little slat to the water to negate the effect of nitrite in the blood stream of fish. However, the long term solution is still bacteria again but this time another kind. These 2nd kind of bacteria cannot live in high ammonia environment so they thrive only when ammonia is zero. All of what I said above provide you the thoery behind cycling tank and that you should realized, by now, the key to sucessfully cycle a tank is timing and the procedures-the timing and procedure of what you put in the tank. There is a link in About.com describing how to properly cycle a fresh water tank.

Suggestion at this point:
1)Have someone with an established, diease free tank to hold your fish.
2)Since your ammonia is zero, use some salt to negate the effect of the nitrite in your fish to save their lifes.
3)If you have to return them to a LFS, make sure the tank is diease free. Most LFS' tanks have diease.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Ammo-Lock just "locks up" ammonia by converting it to non-toxic ammonium (NH3 to NH4). Depending on the test kit it will still show the NH4 even though it's not toxic like ammonia. Also, using Ammo-Lock does not slow the cycling process of the tank's bio filter. If you want a faste cycle, seed the tank with Bio-Spira. It works a bit fater than Cycle.

Last edited:

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thanks guys i do know the cycle system i was just an rere and di it with fish....and the ammo luck F'd it all up but we learn..i kinda wanted to know how much longer do i have and also when do i know to clean it cuz i dont want to clean and mess it all up

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: