• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
...I'm just curious to see what skimmers everyone is using on their Nanos.

If you could, please post what you have, how large your tank is, what your bioload is like, and any pros/cons..

Thanks

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
what skimmer are you using yourself ? ;)
vertex in100 gen 3 with mini airstar pump with purple pinwheel small, 80g heavyyyy stocked mixed system, hands down out of all the skimmers i've owned this has been the best balanced skimmer. pro's this thing is a monster for my system, con's it does use a sicce 2500 that has the normal re-start issue. worth the trade off though,

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
:lol2: This weekend I'm tearing down my 40 breeder (although not a nano IMO).. I had a few different skimmers on there, but my favorite was the Octopus SRO1000 int. ..Really liked this skimmer. Very quiet, reliable w/a Bubble Blaster pump. Easy to clean and assemble. I didn't like how the gate valve and output were over an inch above the water line.. too high IMO and required modding to quiet that down (simple mod for sure, but I don't feel like making any changes on a $300 skimmer for a 40 gallon tank.

I also used a Euro Reef RS80 and a Vertex IN-100 gen 2. I like both skimmers, but the Vertex pump was loud.

The next tank will be a 15 gallon SPS dominate with only a few small fish. Not sure what I want to get yet.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'm going to have a sump; probably 15 gallons or so. I've used both the Tunze (decent skimmer, good bang for the buck) and the Remora (would not recommend).

For this tank, I'm looking for something different. Honestly, I wish ATB had a small cone, or the I Tech could match demand (and had a smaller skimmer).

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I honestly don't know of any small cone skimmers, I'm sure there is one out there though. I know Coralife makes an in sump for up to 65 gallons, It is their newer ones, but I have no clue how good they are.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I might try the SWC 120. Does anyone use this skimmer? I've heard it's quiet, but I'm concerned about the Atman pump.

I've used that Tunze as well (9005 I think? actually... I've used the 9002 as well)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
godson has the swc 120 f\s cheap too, any pump can have issue's . red dragons on the bk's have been know to have issue's atleast atman is cheap to replace worse case if out of warranty

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Eric.
I am using a tunze 9002 on the solana.
It's OK.
As long as you are going to have a sump to hide it. Check out the Bubble Magus Nano (150 is the model I think) Ray carries it.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
James, I actually like the Tunze 9002 on the Solana. Good combination IMO.

I heard Ray is going to come out with a newer skimmer as well.
I'm heading over there later today. I'll check out the BM skimmers. Good idea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: