• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MSunkin23

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyy,

Has anyone else installed the hydor flo ?

I had my biocube 14 running for about a year without it, with stock pump. Flow was actually really good with the stock bill output. Since I installed the hydor flo today there is not much flo coming from that pump anymore.

I have a koralia nano also, but it seems like its working solo ever since I put the hydor flo on.

Has anyone else experienced this, or should I mess with the plumbing a bit ?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Has anyone else installed the hydor flo ?

Flow was actually really good with the stock bill output. Since I installed the hydor flo today there is not much flo coming from that pump anymore.

I have a koralia nano also, but it seems like its working solo ever since I put the hydor flo on.

Has anyone else experienced this, or should I mess with the plumbing a bit ?
I don't see why the flow would be less with the hydro flo... even if it restricted flow, that should increase pressure....something else is wrong.
Is it spinning?
The problem I have experienced with them, is that the smallest bit of sand/? will jam them and require disassembly and cleaning

MSunkin23

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its spinning, I mean if some of the energy/flow is used to spin gears than I see why flow is lost. Also the outlet is larger than the stock bill. I am just concerned whether the pump is still flowing at the same gph for turnover.

If it is a thrust issue I dont mind, but I dont want to lose turnover.

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump should be fine. I had 2 on my 24 aquapod and run one on my 34 Solana now. Just make sure they are cleaned and they will work fine.

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have one on my Solana. Never experienced a decrease in flow as you're describing. At times the spinning stopped when some chaeto get stuck in the gears but even then the water flowed through.
There isn't much of a nozzle so it may not be producing as strong a current as what you had previously. As long as it's spinning you should be fine.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
i have one on my solana. Never experienced a decrease in flow as you're describing. At times the spinning stopped when some chaeto get stuck in the gears but even then the water flowed through.
There isn't much of a nozzle so it may not be producing as strong a current as what you had previously. As long as it's spinning you should be fine.
+1

But do make sure nothing got stuck in the hose when you were adding it on.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If you look closely at the spinning mechanism, you'll see that some of the water is pushed backwards through the external ring of the hydor flo to make it spin. Overall gph should be the same, but forward flow will be reduced and redistributed.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
If you look closely at the spinning mechanism, you'll see that some of the water is pushed backwards through the external ring of the hydor flo to make it spin. Overall gph should be the same, but forward flow will be reduced and redistributed.
????????????????noobzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
any water that MIGHT escape thru the back, has nothing to do with making it spin!...unless they have re-designed it lately.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
????????????????noobzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
any water that MIGHT escape thru the back, has nothing to do with making it spin!...unless they have re-designed it lately.
LOL... that was my understanding of the mechanism from watching it work in my tank. Some of the water is used to create the pressure that spins the thing, and that water happens to be redirected outwards. The rest rushes through. I'm happy to be corrected by a dude that has a bajillion gallon aquarium though, haha.

Anyhow, didn't mean to bring back a thread/discussion that was pretty much done :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: