• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read it, at first I thought it was an advertisement bot but then I read his written responses, at least it's a person this time>

I make it a point not to get too tied up anymore in nano/pico methods as fads, basic maintenance does it just about every time as long as you get a little bit of luck here and there with things like no destructive hitchihkers and some forgiveness in dosing errors as unique variables between tanks comes into play.

Although I don't think this idea is terrible, i think it could be maintained with diligence to some degree, I have a problem in keeping algae farms anywhere near this proximity to a nano or a pico display. In this design there is no blockage between algal fragmentation, sporulation, or any other type of transfer into the main display and we don't use cleanup crews in pico reefs, functionally speaking. Nanos maybe, but still to a questionable degree. I have tons of experience with in-tank algae scrubbing and it's tough in a pico, you have to stay busy picking it out of the main tank and if you get lazy your tank will wreck with algae.

The scaling just doesn't work in nano's and pico's like it does in larger displays, but it's not a terrible idea at all. One could set up this type of system, pick all the leaked filtrants out of the main tank regularly, keep up water changes, and it'll grow coral just like a fishbowl and an airstone will (avatar) :)
B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, the turf does NOT eat the food/pods/plankton in the water, so this food will stay in the water for the corals to eat. This is the OPPOSITE of a skimmer, which takes out the food/pods/plankton (so corals starve), but leaves in the nitrate and phosphate that you have to then get out using other means. What about fish waste that skimmers normally pull out? Well that's food too, for somebody! Only after waste decomposes completely into nitrate and phosphate is it no longer "food", and at that point the turf zaps it! After all, what do you think the green algae on your rocks and glass are eating? Food? No. Nitrate and phosphate!

once again you show your complete and total lack of understanding re: what any of the support equipment used on a saltwater aquarium actually does, how it does it, and what's going on re: water chemistry

skimmers do indeed remove phosphates, AND nitrates-they have to simply by virtue of their removal of WATER from the system, for one ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The process of using turf algae to filter aquariums has been around for decades, but the contraptions were just too huge and expensive, and for some reason nobody thought to make a simple one in a nano hood. It's simple enough (and free) that you should try one on your system even if you have no intention of eliminating your skimmer, etc. The principal is very simple: You have a screen; light is aimed at the screen, and tank water is streamed over the screen. What happens is that algae starts growing on the screen, and this algae eats almost all the nitrate and phosphate in the water flowing over it (and so the algae in your tank will not have anything to eat!). However, the turf does NOT eat the food/pods/plankton in the water, so this food will stay in the water for the corals to eat. This is the OPPOSITE of a skimmer, which takes out the food/pods/plankton (so corals starve), but leaves in the nitrate and phosphate that you have to then get out using other means. What about fish waste that skimmers normally pull out? Well that's food too, for somebody! Only after waste decomposes completely into nitrate and phosphate is it no longer "food", and at that point the turf zaps it! After all, what do you think the green algae on your rocks and glass are eating? Food? No. Nitrate and phosphate!

now, an article by one of the better known aquarium chemists on the scene today:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

In general, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate will not be directly skimmed out of seawater because they do not adsorb onto air water interfaces. Nitrogen and phosphorus are, however, readily removed as parts of organic molecules that are skimmed out. Analyses of skimmate, as mentioned above, are fairly limited in scope, but one published study shows a substantial elevation in total phosphorus (on the order of a thousand-fold) and total nitrogen (on the order of a hundred-fold) relative to ions not selectively skimmed out (say, magnesium or sodium) when compared to the ratio of the same ions in seawater or reef aquarium water.

Hence, skimming may effectively lower the concentrations of nitrate and phosphate that may otherwise build up in an aquarium, by exporting the organics that are often precursors to some portion of the nitrate and phosphate present in aquarium water.

'nuff said

to all new readers, noobs in the hobby-do not listen to one word from the ignoramus who's spamming bb's left right and center with his absolute drivel-you'll be far better off for it ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: