• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ElMonoCalvo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quick and dirty...I'm 2 weeks into cycling a 12 gal nano-cube where I've upgraded the stock pump to a maxi-jet 900 and stuck in a Koralia Nano (total 470 gph flow). I know more flow is better but when is more too much?

With the lights on (stock 2x24w compact flourescent) and both pumps running my temp is registering between 85-86°F. With summer right around the corner and no money for a chiller does it make sense to only run the nano after lights go out or am I just over-complicating things?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is good.

One drawback of those nano-cubes is that the hoods really trap in the heat. Small computer fans will probably do wonders. Another option is removing the hood and making your lights into a canopy to disperse the heat even better.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to kick the lights on after 8:00 pm in the summer when I lived in California.

I had the same tank, and I drilled a few holes in the clear plastic that encloses the lights - that solved my heat issues on that unit.

ElMonoCalvo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I might try drilling a couple additional holes to increase airflow. I'm reluctant to remove the hood because the tank is accessible to my wife's cats.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You trade a bit of cooling for now allowing moisture in that space, but I found the increased maintenance to be minimal. It really was a night and day difference though and well worth it. That thick insulating layer of heated air really causes the tank to heat up, get that air mass moving and the problem goes away.

In your case it may or may not mitigate the problem completely, but offsetting the light cycle goes a long way as well.

Scoopy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the biocube instead and now I realize I dont have a heat issue. Its lights are already enclosed in a plastic housing in the hood and has 2 small fans circulating air through it. I didnt realize what a blessing that was until just now. Thanks Guys!

Sam

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ElMonoCalvo":3ji8qfst said:
Thanks for the input, I might try drilling a couple additional holes to increase airflow. I'm reluctant to remove the hood because the tank is accessible to my wife's cats.

Black plastic netting + a plastic frame used for window screen. It covers your top like eggcrate but is a little sleeker looking. Allows for better gas exchange and heat loss while keeping your fish in (and cat out). There are DIY plans on the net.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: