• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

catch22

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 african clownfish in a 28g nano tank. She bullied the other one to death. To get a breeding pair I need to remove the clownfish. The lfs will do an exchange. The only problem is I cannot catch it! As soon as I put the net in the water the fish dives under the live rock. Any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
catch22":39wz8810 said:
I have 1 african clownfish in a 28g nano tank. She bullied the other one to death. To get a breeding pair I need to remove the clownfish. The lfs will do an exchange. The only problem is I cannot catch it! As soon as I put the net in the water the fish dives under the live rock. Any suggestions?

allardi ?

you do not need to remove anything

to get a "mated" pair which may or may not spawn, you only need to find another clown at least less than 1/2 the size of the one you have (the smaller the 2nd one is, the better), keeping them seperate but in view of each other, until both try to 'drive at' each other with equal gusto, more or less, then let them get together and watch them-repeat as necessary-this will work for nearly every clown species

remember that just because two have paired up in a store-it doesn't guarantee that they'll stay that way-allardis are fairly 'mean' as clowns go

catching the fish, if you decide to go that route, is fairly easy-you can either just leave a net hanging in the tank, feeding the fish only by placing small amounts of food in the net, forcing the fish to go into it to eat (do that for a week, then next time you feed, be ready to yank out the net w/the fish in it) OR, you can glue a small mirror to the bottom of a glass jar, and lay it down on the substrate-when the clown swims by the jar mouth, and see's another clown inside it, it should swim right into the jar-then you just need to be quick with a net over the jar mouth

get the wilkerson book ;)

catch22

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarks African Clown fish to be precise.

I'll try once more to introduce a small mate otherwise its back to the fish shop for this one.

Thanks for the advice

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
np :)

a specimen cup (like the ones used in lfs's that hang on a tank rim,with holes drilled for water citc ) makes an excellent seperation chamber, btw ;)

make sure the new one is relatively tiny compared tp the female-the smaller the better

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: