• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

keegoaz

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok im loking into getting into nano tanks and haveing a small little reef for myself ive been haveing trouble finding a setup to get. ive been looking mostly at complet all in one systems like nano cube, red sea max, ect... anyone have any tips to help me out i want to have a nano tank betwen 20 and 30 gallons that has just about everything i need to run it. I am a bit limited when it comes too cash too i have less then 500$ to spend on the system :? . so if anyone could point me in the right direction i would really be thankfull.

- thanks,
Tea Time Tony! :lol:

SaltyNewbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched my 29 gal sw (set up for 3.5 years) into a 24 gal NanoCube. So far I am pretty happy with the setup. Everything seems to be going well but they've only been in there 1 month. The 24 gal nanocube has an upgraded lighting system you can snap on if you want to put more demanding corals in the tank ($300). You would probably need to run a small chiller if this is done though.

I got the tank and stand shipped for free for $300 from petsolutions.com.

I just saw drsfostersmith.com has the 24gal nanocube W/ stand for $240!

A lot of people here in Denver seem to sell the biocube, but I don't have any experience with it.

jasno999

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really all depends on tank size and what kind of corals you want. YOu could do a 10 gallon tank and do it pretty cheap. Just get a regular old 10 gallon tank and then a 60-100W CF light. Get 1 or 2 small powerheads and a heater. After that you are ready for water....

Larger tanks require more expensive lights that are larger...

magarnigel

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 24g nano cube. At first i was happy with it but now im noticing little things that bother me about it. They def need more water flow. Im adding a 2nd pump to get that water moving and eliminate dead spots. Also, make sure you dont use the sponges in the back. I removed mine after 2 months of having them in there b/c i was starting to get some algae growth. I couldn't believe how much buildup was resting in back of those chambers. now the fight to get rid of the red slime begins. Those aren't major things with the tank. I still like it, I would just suggest taking care of those problems right away to avoid frustrations later on. I hope that helps a little.

Katfsh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24gal aquapod and if I had to doit all over again I would just buy a standard tank and outfit it myself. I have paid for mine twice. I removed all of the stock insides and only kept the pump But I added a maxijet 1200 hidden behind the false back and I added a hydor korlia 1, a aqua c remora nano skimmer. a 250w mh and 130w of pc. I would have been chaeper to do it myself.
katfsh

ThePika

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a 28 gallon Nano-Cube HQI? Any feedback on these? Dr. Foster and Smith has a special, get the tank and receive the stand for free.

Scoopy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im with Katfish. I have the 14g Biocube and its great, but has such limited space for everything. Im just getting ready to add a 10g sump to it for all water processing goodies and a fuge. From stock, I have changed the pump to a MJ900, added a koralia nano for flow. The sump is actually going to be higher and behind the display. I got a mj1200 for the added height (only 6-8" more) and it will pump into the sump. There I will have my active carbon, phosguard when needed, protien skimmer, heater. The 10gal aga will be divided with acrylic. One small low spot should flow into the fuge, which will be thick mineral/miracle mud, small layer of livesand to keep the mud in place, and then growing macros. Mostly Chaeto. I drilled the side of the tank for the return. It will gravity feed back down and come out the stock nozzle in the tank. Thinking of some small pieces of liverock in the fuge and maybe a couple small inhabitants just for fun, possibly a pistol shrimp.

My tank is in my office, which is a small part of my bedroom :) The tank is on the corner of my L shaped desk, pointing toward the bed so we can enjoy the tank. The fuge is going to be just left of my monitor so I want some fun things in there.

Anyway, way off subject.. Again, Im with katfish, buy a 10 and 20 gallon, set it up right and you will be much happier. You wont look back and say "man I wish I had the room for..............." Anyway, hope this helps

Sam

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: