• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Supreme_Spork

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy.

I've been on "reef hiatus" for a few years after moving into an old, OLD house that needed a lot of lovin'... the lovin' is now done and I'm ready for a new tank now that I have an electrical system that's not a constant fire hazard. :!:

I've been checking out the new "maxi-nano" AIOs and have narrowed the options down to either the Cadlights 34g signature series http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=116 or the JBJ 28g HQI from Nanotuners http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info. ... cts_id=435.

On various forums the Cadlights system gets better feedback from DIY geeks and seems to run much cooler (with a corresponding higher rate of evap), but I haven't heard anything about total system noise (which I care about). That said, I've seen a few JBJ threads with tanks that look great, but I haven't seen anything about the heat situation with the Nanotuners version (assuming they install their custom heat shield). Curious if anyone has been able to run these without a chiller?

Has anyone compared these two systems and chosen one over the other? If so, why? I'm pretty much 50-50 right now and looking for something to drive me fully to one side or the other.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there Spork...I'm in the same boat, and am looking for the "be-all-end-all" complete nano system. I've been looking at the JBJ from Nanocustoms, but haven't heard of the Cad unit.

Can you provide links to the threads you were checking out with tank pics and such? That'd help me out quite a bit.

Peace,

Chip

Supreme_Spork

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chip --

No prob. Here are two JBJ threads:

One guy's 2-year log on the 24g http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=84931 that has a bunch of info on reasonable mods (the 2005 model is about the same as the 2007, i believe, except for 4 extra gallons (vertical) and thicker glass to correct the cracking flaws from earlier models). This tank doesn't have HQI though.

Pics of the 28g up and running in a store: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... =28g&st=40 (link is mid-thread)

And here's a thread with a bunch of details about the CAD system:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... 26459&st=0

I think I'm leaning toward the JBJ right now -- since I'll be running a chiller I'm not so worried about the enclosed canopy, and the back area is uncovered and has reasonable room for extra doodads and a little fuge just like the CAD system. The JBJ looks slicker, and all things being equal I'm kinda shallow like that. :)

mokeyz

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting the CADlights though I have to wait until December when I move to a new apartment.

First the tank is beautiful much nicer to look at than the JBJ. Second it's 6 gallons bigger and that can never hurt. Anyway, they are both sweet tanks but I'm still getting the CADlights.

Here is the description of the "signature series" tank - note there is a canopy.

*150w 14,000k with 2 x 24w Actinics supplements
* (2) LED 2 watt moonlights.
*Full size refugium on back. Does not include refugium substrate.
*Comes in black Cell-Cast acrylic background (oscillator retrun nozzle optional).
* Refugium Dimensions 23" x 5.5" x 18.5"
* Flip-up hinged tank mounts.
* Separate T5 light strip for refugium.
* Signature Polished and mitred edges with Extra thick 7mm thick glass.
* Seamless curved front panel. * Super slim sleek profile Light design at only 2.5" height.
* 3 separate circuits and switches for complete automatic and manual control for each T5 bulb, LED moonlights and Halide lights. Easily compatible with all kinds of timers.
*60G full size protein skimmer.
*6W Drop-in Ultra violet sterilizer.
*70G cooling unit.
*360 degree oscillator return nozzle.
*Glass Canopy comes standard.

$694.99

1/2 PRICE SHIPPING SPECIAL UNTIL 9/10/07 (shipping charges will be deducted from the invoice after the order) IN STOCK AND WILL SHIP OUT WITHIN 2 DAYS OF YOUR ORDER
NO CHILLER NEEDED!

Supreme_Spork

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a bunch more searching and thinking I'm leaning toward the Cadlights 34g also.

I've seen reports of some quality control issues with the Cadlights around shipping (a few reports of minor damage on arrival) and build quality (a few reports of mis-aligned seams and poorly cured silicone), but overall the feedback seems to be very good and the quality seems to be very high. Ditto for the NC 28.

The tank dimensions are really what's driving my decision -- I don't want to be up to my shoulder again working with this nano, I was looking for something a bit more shallow. The NC 28 footprint is 18wx22dx22h (discounting the rear chamber, that's about an 18x18x22 critter space), and that 22h is starting to get deep for my tastes. The Cad is 23wx18.5dx18.5h, with a critter space of about 23x13x18.5 -- much more up my alley. I also like long tanks over high just from the visual POV.

Mokeyz, as far as the Cad being much nicer to look at than the JBJ, that's more a matter of taste -- the NC is a pretty slick package IMO and doesn't have the amount of exposed wires and high-hat skimmer and transparent rear chamber that the Cad system has. I'm cool with the Cad because I appreciate the industrial look, but the cube systems do I think look sleeker and blend in with a room more easily. If this was going in my living room I'd probably skip the Cad unless i had a built-in unit where the rear chamber and wires would be adequately camoflaged.

The NC has slightly better water movement with its 2 separate pumps on a wavemaker, but it's easy to throw an additional pump in the CAD. Also, the Cad apparently has all of its main lights on the same plug even though they have their own switches (according to owner reports), so that nixes the ability to have each of the lights on a separate timer schedule without modding... I haven't confirmed this with the Cad folks yet, but I'm going to try and get in touch with them on Tuesday since they may have changed this recently (the language is a bit ambiguous on their site). One guy said that Cad sent him some extra LEDs for free to wire into the canopy.

I think they're probably both in the same ballpark to maintain, and people have said that they're both reasonably quiet.

Closing in on it!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: