• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Looking really good Matt. Do you feel the pressure, starting an aquarium where you work now? :wink:

Particularly impressed with that sump. 8)

Any pics of the firefish?

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys! :D

The Escaped Ape":37l5hzj7 said:
Looking really good Matt. Do you feel the pressure, starting an aquarium where you work now? :wink:

Particularly impressed with that sump. 8)

Any pics of the firefish?

I try to keep it spotless because of where I work, yes. Lots of important eyes paying attention. :D

The sump is one of the more haphazard ones I've set up. The electrical wires everywhere are a real eyesore. I just haven't had the time to hang them up properly. Way too many projects going on.

You can see the firefish in one of those pictures! :lol: It's terribly shy, much more so than the goby. Anyhow, there are much better pictures than I could possibly take of the helfrich's out there.

A

Anonymous

Here's a recent shot of the still unID'd mussid coral. I suppose I could pull the thing out and find out exactly what it is one of these days...

Before...
unid_dmussid_166.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00804.JPG
    DSC00804.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 6,171
A

Anonymous

Matt_Wandell":22pgkkz0 said:
The sump is one of the more haphazard ones I've set up. The electrical wires everywhere are a real eyesore. I just haven't had the time to hang them up properly. Way too many projects going on.

I think I know who I'll be turning to for advice about my sump for my next tank! I didn't necessarily mean neat and tidy btw (though it's not as messy as you make out), but resourceful. Lots of little solutions all over the place in there. 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report. Finally installed the second half of the return plumbing, did the overflow plumbing the "right" way, and organized the sump to my liking. Makes it real easy to spray everything down with DI water to rinse off residue, dust, and salt creep.

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 5,374
  • DSC00999.JPG
    DSC00999.JPG
    485.3 KB · Views: 5,377
  • DSC01001.JPG
    DSC01001.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 5,373

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I've always wondered about plumbing like that. Do you get more water coming out of the back nozzles than the front ones since you don't have valves? And how about some new "tank shots"? :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":29pdklwo said:
You know, I've always wondered about plumbing like that. Do you get more water coming out of the back nozzles than the front ones since you don't have valves? And how about some new "tank shots"? :D

Yes, and not until later. :D

I've been thinking about how to discreetly reduce the flow to the back nozzles. 2 valves just won't work. I won't be able to remove the light fixture. I'm thinking a reducer or small obstruction inside the back nozzles will fit the bill perfectly. Possibly a smaller diameter vinyl hose that slips inside the larger ones.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, this is very timely.

My mother has gotten tired of the Oceanic 37 that I gave her quite a few years ago. So it looks like I might be setting this up as a small reef tank. I had set this tank up for her with a set of 4 power compacts, so the lights should be ok. However, I would like to upgrade the filtration (I had originally set this tank up with a simple CPR bakpak). In particualr, I am thinking about having this tank drilled so that I can use a sump without a siphon-based overflow. Your set-up looks perfect.

Can you please give me a few more details on the slots you drilled and overflow box you attacehd to teh back? Thanks.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":1puiwha2 said:
Matt_":1puiwha2 said:
Possibly a smaller diameter vinyl hose that slips inside the larger ones.
Won't that just increase velocity?

Maybe a bit, although I predict that restricting the flow in these points will not increase the back pressure on the pump. The front ports are being "underused" (for lack of a better term) and so restricting the outlet on the back ports should just divert more flow towards them. In other words there are so many outlets that I don't expect it will increase the backpressure significantly.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ghostofmilz":20hcb1p1 said:

My mother has gotten tired of the Oceanic 37 that I gave her quite a few years ago. So it looks like I might be setting this up as a small reef tank. I had set this tank up for her with a set of 4 power compacts, so the lights should be ok. However, I would like to upgrade the filtration (I had originally set this tank up with a simple CPR bakpak). In particualr, I am thinking about having this tank drilled so that I can use a sump without a siphon-based overflow. Your set-up looks perfect.

Can you please give me a few more details on the slots you drilled and overflow box you attacehd to teh back? Thanks.

Mike

There are a lot of pictures in this thread. Take a look and let me know if that covers it. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":1eoumgu0 said:
Matt_":1eoumgu0 said:

I had to use 2 layers of hose to put enough back pressure on the line. It works though! The flow doesn't seem too fast to me.

It's a Mag 9 going through (now) a total of 4 holes--two 1/2" and two 3/4".

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ghostofmilz":1k2gyh7k said:

Mike

The 3rd picture is a diagram of the weir box. Note that there are two overflow drains and no Durso standpipe. There's really no room for one, and this method is quieter anyway. :D

I added the first two pictures to demonstrate how it could be done in a taller overflow box, and with pre-screening if you don't have overflow teeth.

Attachments

• weirbox.JPG
    weirbox.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 5,268
  • weirbox_207.jpg
    weirbox_207.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,110
  • weirbox_207.jpg
    weirbox_207.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,113
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In view of the diagram, I assume that you close the valve on the larger return pipe (left) until you force at least some water to pass through the smaller return pipe (right). This avoids air from being sucked down the larger pipe, since it remains under water. And the smaller pipe has some additional capacity to handle the flow in case the larger return gets partially glogged. Interesting. Thanks.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":bfuczxgv said:
bleedingthought":bfuczxgv said:
Matt_":bfuczxgv said:

I had to use 2 layers of hose to put enough back pressure on the line. It works though! The flow doesn't seem too fast to me.

It's a Mag 9 going through (now) a total of 4 holes--two 1/2" and two 3/4".
Good deal! :D Now, where are those pictures? ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ghostofmilz":3d5imnwo said:
In view of the diagram, I assume that you close the valve on the larger return pipe (left) until you force at least some water to pass through the smaller return pipe (right). This avoids air from being sucked down the larger pipe, since it remains under water. And the smaller pipe has some additional capacity to handle the flow in case the larger return gets partially glogged. Interesting. Thanks.

Exactly. All you need is a tiny trickle going through the smaller pipe.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: