• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Steve_CO

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many and what GPH would you rec. for a 24g Aquapod Nano.

I have a RS Wavemake so I can alternate currents but can't decide if one big (Maxi1200) or 2 small would work better.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you on board, I see by the post count you might be new to our forum and we enjoy the new perspective. There are many of those tanks on site and someone will surely chime in directly with their powerhead count, but in the meantime I can tell you I set up a friend's oceanic biocube at 24g's with only one powerhead, the stock one worked fine for the amount of rock we used. If someone plans on stocking heavy with live rock this can make pockets of lower circulation, so one might consider using multiple smaller pumps or those rotating pump heads or a single large pump with an outflow bar to minimize those gaps, I always used the technique of stirring up the sand a bit in a questionable spot and see where the detritus floats off to (or if it fell back down due to no flo). Here's the pump we used:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pow ... sp?CartId=

the larger one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as you establish high volume flow with low velocity, it's very difficult to overdo it

the problem is that the rs wavemasters aren't really designed for any other than narrow spout powerheads (low volume high velocity), like the maxijets-the immediate start/stop messes up impellers and magnets, as opposed to a 'soft start' wavemaker

you're better off getting seios, korallias, etc as the main constant flow makers, and using mebbe one reg powerhead on the wavemaster for pulsing/randomizing the currents

you could also use a 'scwd' current switcher ;)

hth

Killagoby

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a SCWD hooked up to my Rio 2100 Plus and I love it. The pump runs from my refugium to a jet on either side of the tank. The current alternates every 16 seconds between the jets, and they are pointed at the surface of the water.

For LPS's I would go with no less than 20x turnover rate. SPS's can do 40x.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw-i just picked up one of the 'new' kolrallia powerheads for my 18" cube, and they're awesome :)

very well priced, VERY low power consumption, and nice wide low pressure high volume flow :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: