• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Invader K

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I come seeking advice today.

I have a 12gal Nano Cube, which I have had set up since last Christmas. Three months ago a bought a Silver Branch Pumping Xenia and it has done very well since then. Yesterday, I acquired two Percs and they took to my Xenia immediately after acclimation. Today, when my lights finally came on, I noticed the tips of my Xenia are a bit shriveled and not pulsing as much as they normally do. I have read some opinions online, some of which say that this is normal and the Xenia will regenerate itself, and others say that clownfish that begin a symbiotic relationship with their Xenia like they would an anemone have lead to the Xenia's demise. Anyone have any opinions on this? I really like my Percs, but I don't want to lose my Xenia, either!

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

nobby

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there, its been long thought that pulsing xenia and iodine levels have a close relationship, if the xenia is now not pulsing so much and looking a little ill, then id check iodine levels in the tank.

i havent heard of percs damaging their hosts before, more the other way around and they feed/protect most host species

Invader K

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the feedback!!!

Just an update, I did put in a few drops of Julian Sprung's Iodone Concentrate to see if that would help at all, and my Xenia is looking good again. My Percs still host it, but they don't seem to have any adverse effect on it (whew!).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just fyi alk levels (low or fluctuating) will also many times affect pulsing/pulse rhythm in pumping xenias

make sure you use a test kit if you're adding/dosing iodine ! too much can have adverse effects, and most folks that do regular water changes don't need to add any

(excess iodine can burn tissues, and fuel algae blooms)

Invader K

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use iodine once in a very great while. Otherwise I just religiously do water changes like you said. My Xenias are still doing great, by the way. I hope they stay that way.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: