• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reefkeeper8

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know if you have low'medium or high lighinting. I've asked many differnt poeple around were I live inculding most of the lfs. Ibeen told everything from 4 to 7 watts per gal is medium to high to 3 watts per gal and just go with the 20k lights. So what is true. I'm new to saltwater reef tanks and have 2 ten gal nonos that I'm using to learn. Im also putting together a 55 gal but this is taking some time because most of this is dyi. I do know the more light the better but I really want a general idea of what is the range is. And if anyone has any good dyi site I would like those to look at too.

OddFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, when I asked, I was told that this using this way to define required light is incorrect - let say 10 W/gal: 100W over 10g tank, 12" high, is a one thing, and 1000W over 100g tank 24" deep, is another. But anything better wasn't offered... Some say, that actinics shouldn't be counted.

From personal experience I would say:
- 18W 50-50 PC (9w actinic, 9W 10,000K) over 6g, 12" high, is a low light. Not much corals or algae will grow there.
- 27W daylight CFL (spiral bulb from hardware store), 6500K, over 5-6g tank is a medium light, a lot of algae and corals will grow there,
- my guess will be, that twice more will be medium-high - enough for the open brains,
- didn't tried more, but from readings SPS corals will require 70W+ MH over the same volume.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: