• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

B

Bulla

Having had a break from keeping a FOWLR tank of a couple of years I am keen to start a new tank.

My idea is to fill a space in my living room with a 24"x15x12 tank (approx 18gal)

I'd like to fill the tank with Live Rock and my plan is to keep some Shrimp, crabs and critters with possibly one fish.

I'm interested to know if anyone has run a sump with a tank this size and more importantly a CLM ? I am intrigued to know how this would work as ideally I would like to run a small sump underneath the main tank with a skimmer, with the necessary plumbing to support the CLM.

I am very new to the idea of running a sump and CLM as my previous tanks were run using hang on skimmers and Power heads, of which I had good success but I would like to try my hand at something new.

I've read the page at http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/short.htm and think I understand the basics but I cant get my head around the diagram which only shows one pipe up to the tank, and I to presume that the plumbing for water down to the sump in the diagram has been omitted ?

If anyone could point me in the direction of some reading on the mechanics of running and sump it would be greatly appreciated, I am unsure whether I will need to drill my tank or use an overflow, but would prefer the solution that produced the least noise as this will be in my living room.

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

Bulla

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I don't get it either, just trying to keep your thread alive until someone does. I was even trying to find the return piping in the actual aquarium pic but I can't tell if that little elbow in the bottom left hand side sticking out of the back is it...it's been a while since I've scratched my head at a Calfo diagram but this time I must wait for the masses interpretation. Thanks for posting here and getting us talking

Brandon

reefman5511

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article is all about plumbing a return to eliminate the need for powerheads. All they are trying to show is the return to the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: