• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

clownfool

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some input on how I should set up my new SPS tank and how to maintain it and have thriving SPS in it.

O.K. I got a 24g Aquapod nano tank
I really like this tank and plan on having it setup for years.
I have done some research on keeping SPS, and I feel comfortable about my knowledge of what I need, but anyone can help me out if I'm doing something wrong.
So I have my setup and will be starting this tank in the next week or two.
I have a 150w HQI MH, I think that will work.
The 24g aquapod is 19.75" wide, I have a CPR AquaFuge PS Small w/ Protein Skimmer. 19.25"L x 4"W x 15"T

I plan on going Barebottom in the display, because if I put 4in of sand in there, there won't be much water and it will look really small.
The refugium/protein skimmer HOB is going to have about 12pounds of sand in the refugium about 4" deep. The refugium holds an extra 3.5g of water.
I'm not sure what kind of sand I need for the refugium (can anybody tell me what kind of sand to use?).
I always here about southdown sand, I think that is what I'll use w/some live sand from somebodys refugium.
In the next week or two I will be buying some small live rock for the nano, to start the cycling. That rock should do fine as a biological filter and provide denitrification. Is that right?
I'm going to add another pump in the back to increase the flow and to make more flow. The tank came with a Hydor wavemaker. I am considering drilling another hole on the right and installing another Hydor wavemaker with that extra pump. Do you think that will be enough water movement?
The chamber in the back houses a big huge sponge, which I will be removing from that chamber. I also have a JBJ auto topoff.
So I have pretty much everything I need to support the SPS right?
I only plan on having one fish(fairy wrasse) maybe two.
1.Live Rock
2.Protein Skimmer
3.150W Metal Halide
4.Water flow
5.And a two-part dosing of calcium and ALK
6.Refugium plants and sand

How often should I do a water change and what % ?

What else will I need to do to make this work good besides all the water testing kits?
I will be posting pics as this project goes on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: