• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

linderaberry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World’s smallest fish are bred at aquarium
By Bolton Evening News Reporter
July 2006

EXPERTS at Bolton Aquarium have become the first in the world to breed the smallest tropical freshwater fish in captivity.

Tiny danionella translucida, which are just 12mm or 0.47 inches long, are bred from fish which had been brought to the aquarium to be studied by scientists.

The tiny fish are currently housed in the research area, but could soon go on public display.

continued...
The danionella translucida originate from Myanmar, formerly Burma in Asia, and are difficult to study because of their size.

Two aquarists spotted the new fish glinting in the light as they prepared to close one night. Several more hatched over the following days.

They will be moved to public display when staff are confident they are breeding regularly.

Cllr Ismail Ibrahim, Bolton Council's executive member for culture and community cohesion, said: "Not only is the aquarium a fascinating place to visit, with lots of wonderful creatures, but staff there also perform important research and conservation work that can help the survival of a number of endangered species.

"The breeding of these tiny fish is proof of the success of that work and a real coup for Bolton."

linderaberry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the smallest (adult-size) saltwater fish that anyone is keeping in their nano reefs?

If I don't find a tiny fish species I like, I've been thinking about shrimp (or "shrimp"). Maybe even a mantis "shrimp" -- god knows they aren't easy to kill.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
linderaberry":p6dw5wm8 said:
What is the smallest (adult-size) saltwater fish that anyone is keeping in their nano reefs?

If I don't find a tiny fish species I like, I've been thinking about shrimp (or "shrimp"). Maybe even a mantis "shrimp" -- god knows they aren't easy to kill.

I've kept Eviota pellucida before. It belongs to the same genus as the smallest known marine fish. A one gallon tankwould be suitable.

There are several species of Trimma gobies that all stay small, perhaps an inch at most. I have kept at least 4 different species, including T. tevegae and T. rubromaculatus.

Both genera will readily accept live baby brine and Cyclop-eeze brand freeze dried copepods, as well as forage on live rock. They can be kept in groups but the Trimmas can be quite aggressive to congeners.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW,
:welcome:

How big of a tank are you thinking of?

linderaberry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 to 35 gallons. I want to keep it very light on fish and see if I can get away with not using a protein skimmer. Did your T. rubromaculatus do okay at tropical temperatures?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Trimmas are always out and about, although they don't do much swimming in the water column. They come from tropical temperatures. Even with a 10 g tank you can get away with lots of gobies. The "clown" gobies (Gobiodon spp.) are very endearing, colorful, and stay small. Lots of shrimp gobies would work.

This fish can be kept in groups and stays small. Tryssogobius colini. I haven't seen any for sale but they are out there if you search hard enough.
http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/images/1318.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to thank you, by the way. You've inspired me to finally finish my "Nano Reef Fish" list that I haven't touched in at least a year. See my sig. The gobies are such a huge group that it's going to take a lot of work but when it's done it should be able to answer questions such as this.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":308kgtqt said:
I have to thank you, by the way. You've inspired me to finally finish my "Nano Reef Fish" list that I haven't touched in at least a year. See my sig. The gobies are such a huge group that it's going to take a lot of work but when it's done it should be able to answer questions such as this.
:D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
linderaberry":1z9woegg said:
The Tryssogobius -- it looks much like something i know as a white dart goby ... do you have a common name for it?

Tryssogobius is relatively unknown over here. It doesn't have a common name. As far as I know it is related (or at least is very superficially similar to) the genera Nemateleotris (aka "firefish") and Ptereleotris (aka "dartfishes").

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: