• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:16 pm Post subject: Noob needs help with free critters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It just so happens, today i was offered a bunch of free corals from my client who is getting out of reefing. there is a colony of zoas, colony of yellow polyps, a single polyp of some sort, a LPS and a branchy type of SPS. also a single hermit and a single snail.
Lucky me. About $120 or so from my LFS. Also as much life rock as I want as well. I am concerned about the horrible hair algea on every thing. So to make a long story short.

What can I do about the hair algea within reason without hurting the corals?
What do i do when there Is a single polyp attached to a five pound rock and I don't want the rock?
What can I do about the poor snail that has two inches of hair algea attached to his shell?

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it all and buy some crabs and snails to clean it up! You can conquer hair algae, and if you can get free rock, do it. You could also take the corals and quarantine those with some herbivores, and put the rest of the rock into the dark for a couple of weeks until the hair algae dies off. Then simply give them a light scrub, rinse them off, and move them to new water that doesn't have nutrients! Don't pass up free stuff, you'll regret it!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido88":v6ydk752 said:
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:16 pm Post subject: Noob needs help with free critters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can I do about the hair algea within reason without hurting the corals?
What do i do when there Is a single polyp attached to a five pound rock and I don't want the rock?
What can I do about the poor snail that has two inches of hair algea attached to his shell?

I have hermits, 1 yellow tank & lawnmower blenny and my hair algea was gone in no time at all. My hair was about 2 inches long and now it's nothing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: