• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Charleskart

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is the ongoing experience of an ill fated decision of introducing "cured" live rock to an inhabited, cycled nano.

There are countless articles on the many correct methods of curing live rock, this is NOT one of them; this is rather an account which I will update to serve as a warning.

I hope some of you find this interesting and informative. I could please use any advice on the subject regarding tactics to remedy.

The discussed setup is my fifth reef tank, and third nano. It is a JBJ 12g DX, just the surface skimmer and pump mod. Needless to say I should have known better.

I set the tank up around seven weeks ago with approx. 12pds of LR from a fish only aquarium. The tank cycled in about two weeks. I added mushrooms, two false pecula clowns, a feather duster, clean up crew, and a Ritteri Anemone.

The species were added gradually, testing water parameters for any spikes. The only reading was with phosphates, used Kent Phosgaurd to remove Phosphates, then silicates. Everything was going well.

I then had the urge to buy 16pds of cured LR from Drs. Foster and Smith; I was missing the biodiversity and hitchhikers which make this small eco-system so enjoyable for me. I also received a clam, and zoo frags with the order.

I received the LR the next day, rinsed, scrubbed, and aquascaped.
No odd smell, so I thought all was OK,

OMG

My ammonia spiked to 1.50, and my Nitrites to 40ppm. The water became cloudy. The Ritteri fell off the rock and stayed on the bottom.

I performed two 30% water changes each night 3/8 and 3/9. Ammonia and Nitrites still climbing as of this morning!!! I know; I should know better.

The clowns seem to manage, as well as the clam. Feather duster check, and some zoos are opening. The shrooms are definitely stressed and are not opening.

Ritteri released its enzymes and I needed to flush.

A thick white substance constantly needs to be scrubbed from the rock.

My plans are to wait out the cycle in the current condition. When the levels reach zero I plan to remove the rock, scrub with Kent rock prep, re-aquascape and do a 50% water change.

I am afraid to remove the livestock, as the poor animals are probably under enough stress.

Does anyone have a better solution? If not I will post the update in a few days.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not remove the offending rocks to a bucket of saltwater and cure them there, that will remove the cause of the ammonia and nitrate problems and allow you to get the tank back under control with as little stress as possible.

Then you can allow the rock in the bucket to finish whatever die off has started without risking the inhabitants.

Also, when you go to put the rock back in the tank after all is well if you can keep it under water the whole time it minimizes this sort of thing.

Its a challenge, but I used a very small plastic popcorn bucket to transfer my rock from a bucket to my tank.

Charleskart

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After inspecting the rock tonight, I think that is probably the best route. There is still alot of decaying material.

Should I start water chabges in the tank with the rock out, or let it cycle again with the existing live rock in the chambers, if you suggest water changes; what percent?

Thanks again.

I am attaching some pics of the rock, pretty much arranged now for curing due to the scrubbung. First time posting a pic, so I appologize in advance for the quality.

Attachments

• 2DSC00464.jpg
    2DSC00464.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 2,283
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After taking the rock out you want to watch the ammonia levels in your tank. Any time they get elevated do a water change. That shouldn't last long with the main source of decay out of there.

You also want to keep an eye on the ammonia level in your bucket with the rock in it. While you can just let it go and let it cycle naturally in there the elevated levels of ammonia and nitrite will kill more of the life on the rock.

So try to keep those levels down with water changes. IF you have an extra skimmer laying around you could put that with the rock, it would be a help.

How big of water changes?

12 gallon tank right?

I would think 1 gallon at a time would do.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with knucklehead. However, you are probably safe doing more like 3g water changes. I do 3 gallon changes on my nanocube and there hasnt been any problem. If the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels arent that bad though, you can do smaller changes. Good luck.

travisurfer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best of luck. hate to say it, but the ritteri anemone would probably have died or may have outgrown your tank in a month or two. do you have a condy in there now?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that sucks. I bought that same 16lb rock from F&S myself for my 10 gallon. I had about 10lb's existing rock, and no animals
besides snails, but I had virtually no curing or die off from my new F&S rock. I checked my levels daily, and the ammonia/nitrites
barely spiked at all. And definitely no cloudiness.

Just goes to show, you can never be sure exactly what you're gettig or how things will react in your tank.

Charleskart

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I found my peppermint shrimp dead.

I was setting up to remove the rock today and performed a few water tests.

My ammonia levels dropped to 0 and my Nitrates came down to about 3.5 ppm. My phosphates rose to about .25 ppm, and my PH dropped to around 7.8

Thus far DOA:

Ritteri Anemone
Misc. Shrooms
Peppermint Shrimp
Misc. Snails
* Bisstle Star lost a leg
half of zoo colonies

The clam is still looking healthy, and the clowns appear as though they will make it.

The anemone in th epicture is a pink tip and is doing well.

I guess the question is: At this pont do I leave the rock in and test Nitrtes tomorrow, or stll go ahead with removing the rock?

Thanks again.

Charles K.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ammonia is at 0 then I would just do water changes on the main tank and leave the rock in.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at this point you might just leave the rock in. Ammonia and nitrite are the two most deadly chemicals, so if those are 0 you are ok. Nitrate and phosphate will fuel bad algae growth, so continue with water changes to get those down. You might want to throw some chemi pure or purigen in the back of the tank to help remove some of the dissolved organics. I use both in my nanocube as my only form of filtration (aside from LR) and it has worked very well for me. If you have some of the phosphate absorber left throw that in there until your phosphate goes down. Good luck with the recovery.

Charleskart

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jasen":b3t2vozz said:
Man, that sucks. I bought that same 16lb rock from F&S myself for my 10 gallon. I had about 10lb's existing rock, and no animals
besides snails, but I had virtually no curing or die off from my new F&S rock. I checked my levels daily, and the ammonia/nitrites
barely spiked at all. And definitely no cloudiness.

Just goes to show, you can never be sure exactly what you're gettig or how things will react in your tank.

Since you bought the same rock I did, how did it turn out? The rock looks good with lots of pink and blue coraline.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: