• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

blue89bird

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here for the most part, had this up and running a few months now.

12 gallon Nano Cube DX
Pulsing Xenia on the left
Orange Tube Coral
Yellow and Brown Polyps on the right side
Hawaiin Featherduster
Turbo Snail
4 Stripe Damsel
3 Emerald Crabs
IMG_2706.JPG

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the photo submission bluebird. What are your plans for that elegance coral skeleton up top? That could also be a hammer coral skeleton as well, but for now I'm voting catalaphyllia...not that it matters, but that could make good substrate for future coral or zoanthid gluings (just brainstorming)

Most new systems have an algae cycle when becoming established, we want to manage your cycle (if that's the case) as best we can based on the photos...did that algae grow in the system, as it may happen in newer setups, or did it grow in another system and get transferred over to yours? I'd take some new directions in feeding/cleaning that system based on your answers, because I can see three items in there that require a nice feeding/maintenance schedule to get a hold on things for the long-haul. Lemme know!
B429

blue89bird

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had another 12 gallon "cube" that my grandfather gave me with most of the things already in it, but I could never get the water quality good (thinking there were some dead things in there that were never cleaned out) so I purchased a new tank, live sand, and put the majority of the live rock in there to cycle it. Once the water measured up good, i transfered the live stock over.

That algae grew in this system as I originally had the light on for too long during the day. BTW, how long do you suggest it is lit? I currently have it on from 10am-7pm. Is this still too long? As far as feedings, I feed the fish (currently just 1 damsel) frozen mysis every 3 days and spot feed the orange tube with a syringe every other day.

I also do a 25% water change every week and after the change add trace minerals as well as iodine.

The coral skeleton that is up there currently has some zoos I put on it in hopes of them spreading all over it. Looks like 3-4 polyps have attached themselves.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's the lighting period I use, it's not too long. Although your animals are receiving good nutrient support with that feeding, they look like it anyway, I think that is too much input for your 25% output and I am also judging this by the algae growth (which is not all that bad, I'm more concerned about your 1-2 year mark)

Crew, what about some of those nitrate or protein-absorbing pads like chemipure or various resins we could put in the filter portion of the tank, you think that would absorb some nitrogen before it becomes available as algae food? One thing for sure, aggressive and long-term water changes right at about 50-75% would do it but that's too much work for a nano this size. I recommend you reduce your captive animals that require that much feeding and continue with your current approach, or talk to someone who uses the ion adsorbers to get their angles, or step up the water changes by keeping premixed vats on hand for an easy siphon-swap twice a month (but in larger doses than 25% in my opinion)

Just watchin out for your long haul!
B

blue89bird

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will step up the water changes to 50% or so, its really not that much harder to do a 50% change then it is a 25%. I currently use a 5 gallon bucket, so that's almost 50% if I fill it.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both purigen and chemipure in the back of my nanocube and am very pleased. Personally, I think in small tanks like this you need a combination of things to keep it successful and relatively low maintenance. First off would be a low to medium bioload, and making sure you don't overfeed your tank. I would feed flake or pellets every day, but a tiny amount. Make sure your damsel eats them all. Then supplement with frozen a couple times a week. Using something like chemi pure or purigen can definitely help reduce algae growth, and it will allow you to make fewer water changes. I personally don't like the idea of making large water changes on small tanks. It can completely change the tank parameters in a matter of seconds. Also, doing a 50% WC on this tank might even expose some of your corals to air. This isn't a good idea for soft corals. I think you have a great setup, but like Brandon I would like to help you in the long haul. Using something like chemi pure would definitely help IMO, and you already seem diligent on the water changes which is great. Oh, also the back section of your tank will accumulate some detritus over time. Try to suck this out every once in a while when you do water changes. Good luck!

blue89bird

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've currently got some purigen in the back along with some aquaclear activated carbon.

The green algae is still around, and although not bad, is becomming more prominent then the above pic.

What can I do to get rid of this? It pulls right off, but some is in an area where I can't get to.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: