• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

This is a 2 gallon or so Azoo glass tank. It came with a small hang on 50/50 13W PC light, HOB filter, and the tank itself which has a bow front and a mirrored back. I'm not using the filter at all, but I did remove the pump for use as a powerhead. It is thus far the smallest powerhead I've ever found:
azoopump_118.jpg

It's on a wavemaker and alternates flow direction when it comes on. A nice little poor man's SCWD/Sea Swirl for nanos. :D I will accept your thanks via PM. :P

The heater is a Hydor Hydrokable that is buried under the sand. The heater and powerhead cord come up through the stand via drilled holes in the glass botom. They were siliconed into place to make a watertight seal.

The topoff will be from a SpectraPure Litermeter III dosing pump. The output line is drilled through the bottom of the tank as well. Drilling through the bottom and using an undergravel heater gives this tank an equipment/power cord free look that I am very happy with. Hope it gives you ideas!

Some pics....

Attachments

• nano.jpg
    nano.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 10,855
  • nanoheater.jpg
    nanoheater.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 10,852
A

Anonymous

This is by far my favorite nano design. Very clean look. Nothing in the tank to clean but nice smooth glass. :D

A

Anonymous

Made the light stand today. Mucho thanks to pookstreet for the idea. It's copper tubing painted flat black.
lightstand_114.jpg

The light is a 250W DE Pendant. It has a 20000K XM bulb. Inside the pendant I attached a 13W 50/50 PC. This came with the Azoo tank. The PC is on for 4 hours, MH on for 6, then PC on again for 4 more.
mhpc_972.jpg

I was unhappy with the way the heater was laid out (it kept poking above the sand), and I decided to re-silicone the topoff tubing. Too loose of a fit for my comfort. So here is what it looked like with no sand.
nanonosand_966.jpg

The finished product. Note the AC it's covering up. :P
lightnstand_189.jpg

Another shot from the top.
nanotop_742.jpg

Salt water goes in today!

A

Anonymous

I'm glad that you finally have a tank, Matt. Maybe you'll even have a reef tank eventually. :D

pookstreet

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, cool setup. Man, that's some serious lumens for a nano. I thought my 150W over my 16G was overkill. Planning on having fried fish for dinner every night? 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1jwkj1vt said:
It has a little glass seahorsey in it. Does that count?

Put a glass mermaid in there and we'll talk about it. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the Society of Physics Students have to do with nanos? :D

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that is an incredibly clean look Matt! How are you going to cool that racsal in the summer?
Awesome, I know you'll stock it well.
B429

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a dryer vent cover I see on the right side? Or two? Where does it go? I must say Matt, you have some pretty cool ideas for your little nanos.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:lol:

It's one of those ACs that sits in a window. My apartment was built in the 1920s or something. ;) I'll need it because it's a south facing window. Gets a ton of light even this time of year.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that ought to keep your little heater working year round. If you compare size to freon, you are probably running one of the biggest chillers around on your tank. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock went in today. I'm really digging it. I missed my nano. :D

Attachments

• nanoleft.jpg
    nanoleft.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 10,624
  • nanoright.jpg
    nanoright.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 10,624
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
martin1042":67dyf6yf said:
I like the black sand it will make the colors of coral and whatever else you put in show up well.

I like it too. It's a nice consistency too. Not coarse, and not so fine that dropping a rock causes a dust storm in the tank for a few hours. The only downside I can think of is that it takes a LOT of rinsing. I had to put a power filter on it for a few days to clear the water up even after I rinsed it a dozen times or so.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: