• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I think I'll do that for my new light stand. But I think I'll stick that square underneath the stand itself for support. ;)

Thanks for the idea! It's always nice to have fresh blood in here with clever ideas.

A

Anonymous

Just remember that copper is pretty soft stuff, Matt. It wouldn't take much weight to crush the tube.

A

Anonymous

Mmmm, hadn't thought of that. Even if the weight is distributed all the way around the rectangle? It's only a 2 gallon tank so it'd be like 30 lbs tops.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper come in three grades of strenght.. M, L, and K. M is the softest and K the strongest. You would have to go to a plumbing store to buy the K grade but it should do the trick.

pookstreet

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem Matt. I think you should be fine with only that much weight. The weight distribution on the entire rectangle should hold up. Have you thought about just using brackets to attach it to the side of the stand itself? It would be easier to take down for whatever reason.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is plastic, believe it or not, so I don't want to connect it to the stand. It's actually really nice when I want to dust it down or spill some water...no worries about warping or anything. It will hold up to a 10 gallon tank.

Anyhow, I will look into the stronger copper and try it out.

Thanks for the help guys!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, how exactly did you attach the copper tubing to the elbows? Mine is a real loose fit. Torch it?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sweat your joint if you have a torch and solder handy. I would recommend useing JB weld or something like it if you dont. Its pretty amazing stuff. Maybe even try to crimp the joints alittle with pliers( after they are together) and sand the rough edges. It only takes a tiny bend in an elbow to give me a headache under a house. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":nx7gao72 said:
Um, how exactly did you attach the copper tubing to the elbows? Mine is a real loose fit. Torch it?

you solder it

silly man

you need a torch, some solder, and some flux.

Oh, and some steel wool or sandpaper.

You have to clean the inside of the elbows and the outside of the tube with steelwool or sandpaper in order for the solder to stick.

put flux on both the inside of the elbow and the outside of the tube.

put the pieces together

point the torch at the elbow and heat it until the flux is bubbling, kind of move it around a bit, you want both pieces hot.

lay the end of the solder right over the joint and watch it melt in.

easy peasy!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, next time you ask me 'what is this fishie?' I'll call you a silly man, silly man. :P

Good lord, I really need to torch it? These aren't exactly tools I have laying around my house. :lol:

pookstreet

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.....you can do all the above, or you can just use some superglue gel like I did. I took the easy way out since I don't have and definitely don't want to buy all that equipment just for the light stand. I haven't had any problems so far.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, do the super glue thing

Its not like it needs to hold water or anything..

If you were really cool you would combine the light stand rack and your circulation system into one cool hanging water spout thingy....

Course then you wouldn't want to use copper pipe.....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pinched the elbows with pliers. Much easier. I also found a little clamp thing with an adhesive backing to make sure it stays close to the stand too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":26byaguc said:
Is the brandy glass for sale?

:lol:

Sure! Although shipping would cost more than it's worth. They're $11 at Wal-Mart IIRC.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of union plumbers dont sand all of their copper joints.. I was hoping you would try the crimp method .Definately the easiest. Just today for example, I was under another house sweating copper and simply twisted a piece of 1/2 inch in an elbow. I couldnt get the two to come apart with out the pliers. BTW im not a union plumber :lol:

sandmantis64

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the idea, thought a little input on the copper fixture might help. p.v.c. although its more flexable, unless you choose larger O.D. would be a choice. close to the bottom use a tee and L (*90)to go behind the stand and possibly in front as well, for stability. kinda like a "small" letter h reversed. after this thought i'm thinking of incorporating the two ideas. should work well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sandmantis64":1rv4mnhm said:
i like the idea, thought a little input on the copper fixture might help. p.v.c. although its more flexable, unless you choose larger O.D. would be a choice. close to the bottom use a tee and L (*90)to go behind the stand and possibly in front as well, for stability. kinda like a "small" letter h reversed. after this thought i'm thinking of incorporating the two ideas. should work well.

I'm thinking ABS fittings and pipe would work well. Much less flexible. The only serious drawback is the insane price it would cost to make one compared to copper.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sandmantis64":3a8e5z5g said:
i work well with others ideas, im kinda like B.A.S.F. i dont make most of the products you buy. i try to make them better. LOL...

:lol:
:welcome:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: