• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

madis

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

Hope you can give some suggestions.
I have 12G nanoreef going for 6 months for now.
And the problem is very poor coloration and fluorescence.
Tank parameters are:
12G
DIY skimmer
Flow: 15x
Lights: 4x24w power compact (3x6500K 1xblue(not actinic))
Ca: 450
kH: 12
Mg: 1100
9 Kg liverock
1" crushed coral sand
3 Kg lavarock (they use it in barbeque)

Livestock:
2 damsels, 1 clown, 3 hermits,snails, BTA, softies, shrooms, zoos

And again - the problem is bad coloration or no color at all.
The zoos when i got them were dark brown - now they are pale green or whitish.
The green nepthea is not green at all and so on.
Seems that shrooms dont like light at all.
When its dark they are wide opened, when i turn the lights on they try to hide...

Any suggestions ? Is it possible at all to catch good colors with PC or halides is the only way ?

Best regards

Attachments

• PC080153.jpg
    PC080153.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 951
  • PC080168.jpg
    PC080168.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 953
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to do some bulb swapping IMO. Definatly trash the blue bulb, I don't know why they're still on the market. Get a true actinic, -03, or whatever they're calling them these days. Place this bulb in the very front for maximum flourescence.

If that's not enough then swap a 6500K for a 10,000K and place this bulb as the second from the front.

Still a very nice looking tank though!

smontanus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Guy said plus be patient. My tank was just starting to improve at 6 mo. Now at 8mo I'm finally starting to be very pleased. hellolights.com has a pretty good explanation of blue bulbs vs true actinics. I haven't actually checked it in a while though.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your mg level does seem too low... you want it around the 1300 mark.. but your calcium and KH are good to go. i would say if you couldnt keep your Ca up and your Mg was 600, KH 6.... you would have problems then... your system seem pretty balanced...

just watch your bulbs as guy suggested. watch your water quality, and give the tank some time... remember you have an entire ecosystem in your tank. it took millions of years for mother nature to do it in the ocean.... your tank will come around.

be patient...

your tank looks good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: