• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at resurrecting a 15 gal I have laying around (24x12x12), yet I have a lot of 'standard' equipment that's useable as well. However, I don't have room for a sump where the tank will be and it isn't drilled (and I would rather not have to mess with doing that).

My thought is to do sort of a drill-less closed loop sort of plumbing job, with an intake from the tank going to the pump, then going straight to the MR-1 skimmer, and then from the skimmer straight back into the tank.

Does anyone see any reason why this shouldn't work? I don't...but just wanted to throw it out there just in case.

smontanus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean a siphoned overflow to a HOB overflow box or a PH forcing water up out of the tank directly to a hard plumbed skimmer. It think either would work. I would just experiment since your not gonna drill the tank, PVC is cheap. Isn't the MR-1 a LOT of skimmer for a 15? I've heard nothing but great things about them but have no experience with them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done it with a MR-1 but have with a ER. No reason why it shouldn't work. Welcome back btw. ;)

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking more like a non-drilled close loop type circuit. However, someone on another board mentioned that, since it's a Beckett style skimmer, the water would need to be flowing DOWN into the pump, and then back down from the skimmer into the tank, otherwise there wouldn't be enough force to get it back up into the tank (water would just flow into the overflow of the skimmer...hadn't thought about that). Yeah, the MR-1 is a bit hefty, but it will be coming from a larger system that is getting dismantled in the near future, so I will have it on hand. However, the tank will be in my office, so space is at a minimum, hence the 15 gal. I figured it would be a nice addition to the system.

Matt, do you happen to have a visual of how you have yours plumbed? Thanks--it's good to be back (was focusing on some vivariums I had set up...reefs took a bit of a backseat for a little while).

smontanus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skylsdale":1n2ep0mg said:
the water would need to be flowing DOWN into the pump, and then back down from the skimmer into the tank, otherwise there wouldn't be enough force to get it back up into the tank (water would just flow into the overflow of the skimmer

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I'd like to know how this works out. If you've got visuals Matt I'd be interested too. I've been doing a lot of research on becketts for building a DIY one (ala MR). Keep us posted :)

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the same type of idea...only with a CR-1 model calcium reactor from MyReef? This was bought, but never actually plumbed or used on the system, and I've never officially messed with one before.

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could put the skimmer on a stand somewhere, to get it above the tank, so the lines would run down to the tank instead of up.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a HOT type skimmer like a BacPac?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: