• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MrMatthew

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to start my first Nano a while back, let me know if it sounds good to you. I choose to go with a 5 gallon acrylic. I desired the end product to be as ‘natural’ as possible with no visible modifications. I replaced the stock light with two 13 watt 50/50 PC (The most I could stuff in the hood). I’m using a small heater and a ‘hanging filter’ rated for a 10-15 gallon aquarium, I removed the filter pads and put a mangrove in its place. The aquarium has a 2.5 inch sand bed and 15+ lbs of rock both stolen from my larger tank. I have only used distilled water to ensure water purity and have only used coralife sea salt because that’s what I have available (Any suggestions on better salt).

The tank has been running for several months and the levels have been perfect with the exception of occasional trace phosphates (?). My rocks are turning yellow/green with an algae bloom but I’m getting coralline algae growth on the rocks and even the back of the tank. Sponges are sprouting up like mad and pods are rampant. Due to the kindness of my wife the tank is well stocked with various coral and other inverts. There are no fish (are there any that could be safely put in a tank this size? I was under the impression there wasn’t). The coral has grown significantly; the torch came with three branches each with one head, now each branch has two to three heads. There is also a small Acro at the top and it has also grown. The other soft corals have also grown and the orange mushroom split (the picture is during the splitting process).

Please share you ideas and thoughts, Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

• Orange_Shroom_N_Worm.jpg
    Orange_Shroom_N_Worm.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Acro.jpg
    Acro.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Nano_Front.jpg
    Nano_Front.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,157

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done, I think it looks clean and sharp. How do you dose your calcium and alkalinity? I like to hear all the different approaches and relate them to the particular size of the tank... such a good job

brandon429

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your acro doing? it looks a little washed out? Im a little worried that the 26W of light isnt enough for it. Has it encrusted it's base yet?

--Otherwise, the tank looks good. :lol:

MrMatthew

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon, I check the levels regularly and just drop in diluted calcium, alk buffer, iodide, or what ever is starting to lower using a 1cc insulin syringe. The calcium has stayed pretty level doing water changes and this dripping method however it eats through iodide rapidly.

@matt, The flash of the camera bleached out the acro. It was fragged from a LFS and was very badly bleached at the time. It is looking much better then it did, with the color returning and polyps emerging (never saw polyps at the fish store). It looks like it is starting to encrust its base and is growing, this coral has only been in my tank for two weeks and I have in at the very top center of the aquarium. any suggestions to help it, or any of the other coral out?

minibowmatt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well Acroporas need intense light to be fully colored and get good PE. I think your 26W may not be enough, but if it is starting to encrust and show polyps, maybe it will live. It may never color up really well.
As far as tips for your other corals, it seems ok. Just make sure you do your water changes, as a pico tank can turn on you very quickly...Good Luck.

MrMatthew

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I have never had the intention of keeping the acro in the nano. I plan to place it under MH in my larger tank when its finished cycling. Don't worry I will aclimate it to the light. I will post more pictures as things grow.

Matt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: