• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

603_Palmtop_Aquarium_1c.jpg

http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0603.php

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! i love the paludarium! very cool! or is it very hot?

i'm kicking around an 8-oz. tank right now. it was a gag gift from my wife from a local dollar store but it has a working water pump! powered by batteries though (AA's). so there's some engineering issues to overcome (the background sux too).

but those atto-tanks are amazing!

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Excellent referral, most entertaining link I've seen in a long time. I give true props to those guys for their creations, even better is that the deisgns have a great shot at long term growth which validates the whole approach for these attos. When I first read the link and pics I thought it was a reef with halimeda, was a little skeptical of the one-month mark on that bad boy...but then I saw it was amano-style FW and was amazed. That first guy pulled off what I believe to be golden-ratio aquascaping in three inches...can I get a wall poster of him please.

:)
B

rc just a quick brainstorm, can you get a DC powersupply from radioshack and just wire it up to the battery terminals for constant power? I think I recall 3 volt selectable systems from my trudging days of serving the shack... Maybe that would save you from having to gut the thing.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, you should submit one of your picos to this site. :)

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thanks for the heads up. I don't know if my planted picos will hang with their amano aquascaping-really! I wasn't using hairgrasses and sloped designs in my stuff, just whatever would live year after year under continual neglect@! :) I could hardly keep elocharis hair grass alive in my 75-g CO2 fed system, doing it long term in a pico is quite a feat.

One thing I might mention tho is the fact the one planted pico I still have was set up in 2002 and is alive and better than ever, that's my oldest living system to date. No algae, just fish and plants and bi-annual water changes.
I must admit their planted systems are sharp, razor sharp, but just like the Nano edition of the Coral Magazine it will take a minimum of one year's growth (and still looking like it does) to win me over for ever...brand new systems always look razor sharp when they are first planted...those amazing layouts are only sound in my opinion if they can pass the test of time. They appear to be set up with that in mind, I bet they can pull it off.

I feel strongly that there should be a follow up edition to that Coral/Nano magazine that details the lifespan of the diverse live rock assemblages (the halimeda, other macros, benthics that were seen upon close inspection--all things that the nano flux tends to select against) and the small coral frags Daniel transplanted into his cubes. Amazing as those designs were, I give them all props, I never noticed any calcification on the glass in any of the designs so I was still waiting for lifespan validation.

I didn't read around on that site to see if they do reefs...thanks for the tip B

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon429":1x4bbkow said:
rc just a quick brainstorm, can you get a DC powersupply from radioshack and just wire it up to the battery terminals for constant power? I think I recall 3 volt selectable systems from my trudging days of serving the shack... Maybe that would save you from having to gut the thing.
yes, i was thinking along similar lines. i don't know how to do it but that never stopped me before. :lol:

i'm putting it on the backburner for now though. i got too many tanks as it is. and i was really thinking about a cylindrical nano for a reef bommie setup as my next tank (also sunlit).

i may swap out and tear down my 75g fowlr as a suitable sacrifice to the wife-goddess. then just hold onto the true reef tanks.

i still gotta take it apart though. the stock background is too fugly. and i want to check out the mechanics of the water pump to double-check sw contact safety. will advise! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those bitches at aquahobby hosted a palm top competetion at one time a few years ago and shafted me! I made a shot glass planted FW tank, and frankly, it owned. It had a tuft of glossostigma, one tiny rams horn snail, some small amount of natural river gravel and a teensy little blob of laterite at the bottom. it ran on RO water and "collateral" light from my desk lamp for one year. they DQ'd my entry for reasons unknown to me.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang":2jq3hrcq said:
Those bitches at aquahobby hosted a palm top competetion at one time a few years ago and shafted me! I made a shot glass planted FW tank, and frankly, it owned. It had a tuft of glossostigma, one tiny rams horn snail, some small amount of natural river gravel and a teensy little blob of laterite at the bottom. it ran on RO water and "collateral" light from my desk lamp for one year. they DQ'd my entry for reasons unknown to me.

You should bust into their crib, lay waste to their bitches, and make off with their coke. ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: