• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

thebutler4

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am not new to reef tanks .. however I am new to Nano`s .. it seems that its a whole new world yet on the same planet ...

Anyhow ... I have a NC12DX .. I have LR rubble in the first and 3rd chambers ... is this too much? .. do you think I should remove the LR rubble from the third chamber? ..

I have carbon and purigen in the second chamber ... (just added the purigan this evening) .. can you run them together? .. I am going threw yet another algaie bloom so I am in hopes that the purigan will help ...

Also .. I seem to be having a water problems ... the water in the tank is cloudy ... and I found that if I take one of the sponges that came with the NC12 and cut it in half .. I get much better water flow ... threw the little grate .. and yes I have the surface skimmer ...

with the ammount of LR rubble in the first chamber I could only fit 1 full sponge is that to much in there? .. like I stated above .. I cut that sponge in half .. to get better water flow ..

I am also getting a large ammount of bubbles all over my liverock in the main tank ... and bubbles comming up from the sand bed ... I dont remember this happening with my 90 gallon reef ... but that was about 5 years ago since I took it down ...

Any answers to my questions would be great ...

Thanks again!

Thebutler4

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my nanocube I have LR rubble in the first 2 chambers and chemi pure and purigen in the 3rd chamber. No sponges, bio balls, rings, or anything else. It has worked very well for me for the last 2 years. So I would not worry about having too much LR rubble. You will get differing opinions on the use of the sponges, but the main detriment of using sponges is they collect detritus and become nitrate farms. To alleviate this, people who use sponges should take them out and rinse them off every week or two. I personally don't use sponges and haven't had any reason to use one. I think cutting your sponge in half was a good idea. Good water flow is important in the nano cubes. How long has this tank been running? If it is a new tank, I wouldnt worry about the cloudiness or any algae growth just yet. It should go away with time. About the bubbles, I would guess that it is just nitrogen gas being released from the nitrogen cycle, which is a good thing. It is probably abundant right now because it is a new tank and still cycling. If this is an established tank, though, you might have too many nitrates in there. Bubbles can also be a byproduct of algae photosynthesis. Anyway, those are just my thoughts, hope they help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: