• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

any LED lighting setups for nano's hit the market yet?

Wife has this new keychain, damn thing is extreemly bright, my desktop 5g needs new lights pretty bad

ickypimp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know of any commercially avalable LED set ups, there have, however been a couple of people flire with LED and i can tell you that it isnt the way forward...

LED light is very directional most have a relitivly small spor effect with a viewing angle averahing 20 degrees, in order to get sufficient light intensity you need an LED per every cm square of tank bottom witing is a PITA and with that many LED's burning you still get heat issues

HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have some VERY nice effects if a setup was made where the LEDs can be rearranged.

Then, it would be possible to focus light where it's needed most. Light loving animals could be saturated with light and less demanding animals could just have 4 or 5 LEDs pointed at them.

3Tripnip

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on one that has about 250-300 LEDs (20000k white, 460nm blue, and UV). The board is almost done, just working on the controller now. I'll post pics as soon as it's done. ;)

-Ben

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am excited to see it Ben. What size tank? How much is something like that costing you if you don't mind me asking?

3Tripnip

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the LED's set me back around $30 or so. The board will be about $20... and I have to get 5 made (min order for prototype shop). I'm soldering them using a wave solder machine (have access to it at work ;) ). We'll see though, this project has gotten pushed back to the back burner right now.

It's gonna go on my 18g tall tank. There seems to be a lot of "theory" as to how LED's will perform on a tank in that high of concentration... so I figured I might as well start with that. :)

-Ben

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: