• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

USMC81

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to drill a 10 gal. tank? Thinking maybe the back glass. I want to drill one for the overflow, and 2 for return lines.

discocarp

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled many 10s with a diamond hole saw. They're actually harder than big tanks imo because the glass is so thin. They crack pretty easy. Its very doable with a hand drill (that's what I used) but if you have access to a drill press I think it would make life much much easier.

Otherwise standard advice applies. Clay ring w/ antifreeze, keep the drill staight (they crack if the drill catches), go very slow.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have drilled many 10g tanks and agree... they are harder to do than larger tanks. The main reason is that when you press in with the bit, that pressure will flex the glass... which makes for an uneven grinding surface.

I've found that a) using a press is best b) drilling the short side is best (less flex) and c) adding something to the inside of the tank, that presses up against the glass for support is very very useful.

To further define c: cut a section of pvc, shove a rag under one end and wedge the other end right under where you want to make the hole. Tape it in place and then drill.

Hope that helps...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: