• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

50cal

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow nano-nites and aquarists all. I am fairly new here and have been lurking around reading all the wonderful information that is in this forum but am having trouble finding “exactly” what I am looking for.

I have a 6 gal eclipse that I want to set up with the hopes of achieving something like Wombat or Blueasher, or any of the many others that I have seen and read about here. Soon I hope to have my own post with documentary pictures and notes on my buildup.

At this point in time I have not yet decided about the inhabitants. I know that will have bearing on some aspects but right now I am trying to figure out lighting… and therein lies my problem.

As I said, I have read every topic that I can find on the eclipses and DIY lighting mods. WaveFanatic has what looks to be similar to what I am trying. And I have followed several links to outside sources for information and ideas also.

My problem is; I can’t find the stuff! I see many posts that are a year or older, CSL is no longer around (I know Current took over), but I can’t seem to find “just what I want”.

What I would like to have is: Foremost, a system that will fit at least the bulbs and caps in the stock System 6 hood. I will remove the stock ballast/bulb assembly and the system filter if necessary but if I stick to my parameters I shouldn’t have to. I am working on a “hinge system using additionally purchased top frames so the depth can be up to 1” deeper. 26-36 watts in the “twin tube” compact fluorescents”. I think that should be sufficient without overkill for my needs. The swirl bulbs would be ok but I would like to get the ballasts out of the hood area to remove the heat (am I thinking correctly?) I will install fan(s) in the hood. Water proof end caps, as I do not want to have to cover the surface (doesn’t that cut down on oxygen transfer??) I would like to be able to run a 10k and a 50/50. I will add LED moonlights- those seem to be easy enough.

And I need to be able to run the lights on a timer, if that makes a difference between magnetic and electronic ballasts. I want to incorporate the new Coralife Dual Power Center.

I can find the bulbs pretty easily online. The trouble seems to be with the ballasts and the end caps. Maybe they are out there and I am just not finding them but the online resources seem to assume you know exactly what you are looking for… I don’t. None of them really explain the differences, pros/cons of the different type of plugs/sockets on the bulb types. Or I can find the bulbs, but not caps to fit them. And I am really having trouble finding ballast for the bulbs I want. Again, maybe they are there and I don’t know what I am looking for. I even considered getting one of the Coralife Mini or 12’ Aqualights and skeletonizing it for my purposes, but not sure how the ballasts are internally or if the end-caps are waterproof.

I know this is a long post. I appreciate any information any of you may have. Thank you all.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, finding waterproof end caps might be tough for bulbs that small. If you can't you could always just wrap them up in electrical tape real well. Seals em good and worked for me.
Check here:
www.hellolights.com
www.ahsupply.com
You'll want to just buy a retrofit kit. If you can fit two 24W bulbs in there should be more than adequate. Good idea keeping the ballasts out of the hood as well. So are you keeping the stock pump and biowheel contraption in there?

By the way, I'm wombat if you have any questions about my old tank. :D

Hope this helps, and Welcome to RDO!

Matt

50cal

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

Thank you for the info. I was sure excited to learn that you are “wombat”. I really enjoy reading your posts and I thought you had left. Your tank in the eclipse write up is absolutely beautiful.

If you don’t mind I have more questions:

The ballasts- are there pros and cons to magnetic or electronic? Does it matter if using a timer for lighting operations?

I would like to stay in a lower wattage range for heat control, presumably using 13 or 18 watt bulbs. But I haven’t seen ballasts for this range… can the higher wattage ballasts control these bulbs? Can one ballast control two bulbs as long as I don’t exceed the rated wattage? Wait- that won’t work because I want to control the actinic and 10k separately so… two ballast and back to my previous question on wattage.

I would not be opposed to the range you suggested if it gives me more opportunities to meet my other preferences (hood fit, waterproof caps) and perhaps more bulb choices.

I would like to maintain the stock filter assembly; that is why I want to stick to two bulbs in the hood. From what I have read removing the bio-wheel is beneficial but I would like to keep the rest of the assembly as a means of extra flow and a media reservoir if need be.

I have been to both of the sites that you suggested previously from looking at other posts. I see “lots of stuff” but as I said am not sure what I am looking at. Do you have experience with either of theses to know how helpful they might be if I just called them and told them what I was looking for and wanting to do?

Thanks again,

Craig

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: