• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man... I'm so sorry to see what happened to your tank, and to Rosie. *hugs for knowse*

I hope that it recovers.

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jolieve and rcsheng.

Finding the tank in that condition was heartbreaking to say the least. What is surprising tho, is that with everything that went wrong, the clam and anemes are still alive! Bleachy is really beautiful in his new coloring.

I figure with some aggressive water changes, I'll be able to get that algea mess cleaned up. I may add several more snails to see if that helps, but what I'd like to do is put my sea hare in there, but I gots to find him first.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your losses. Bug spray should only affect animals with advanced nervous systems. The brainless animals should have made it.

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your updated pics, and comentary. What a bummer! So sorry for the mess you have to deal with now. You mentioned brown stringy stuff with bubbles - might be dinoflagellates or a color variant of cyano.

Good luck with the reconstruction.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to discribe what this stuff looks like is........... like the sand bed sneezed and the strings of snot are loaded with bubbles. If you distrube it, it just floats up and re-attaches to something near the top. [insert Ewww smiley] I also had a round of this particular algea/snot crop up in the new 29, which the sea hares ate with relish.

Cyano is one thing I don't think this tank has had, that and diatoms. Not that it won't show up later. In my other tanks that I've run, the cyano seems to be more of a sheet/film with bubbles. What I am also wondering about is this stuff that is sticking to the glass. If magneted off, it's powdery and discolors the water. If scraped off, it comes off in sheets. I always thought that it was an early form of a calcerous algea, but am now having doughts.

Oh well, what ever these things are, I plan on fighting the good fight :lol:
Nothing like a good learning tool (my head is already exploding with all the information in it) for us non-beginners and the newbs, as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large Dinoflagillate colony = "Snot Algae".

I don't know what causes it and I don't know how to get rid of it. I've seen it in dirty tanks, clean tanks, reef tanks, even fish tanks loaded with copper.

The big "tell" between Cyano and Dino is light. Cyano retreats significantly when the lights are out, Dino doesn't.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what removing the old sand? It came out of my old 29. I'm think about taking most of it out and replacing it with some nice dry new sand.

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing the sand will not help your situation, even if you remove the sand entirely, dinos will still grow on the rock, over your corals and on the glass.

The only way I know to kill dinos is to wrap the tank in a blanket and shut out the lights for several days. If you're lucky, the dinos will be dead by the time you turn the lights back on. You can also try running carbon and changing it every three days. Supposedly this works for getting rid of dinos as well.

I have them in my 75. I have tried both the above methods. In the end, I just keep them under control by siphoning it out whenever I find it, just like I did with cyano. As long as you are religious about removal, things should be okay.

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, that sucks.

This guy got rid of it in the 29, but he's been MIA for 2 1/2 weeks now.

Attachments

• sea hare.jpg
    sea hare.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,535

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. If they work for you consistently, keep me posted because I'll have my LFS order one in for me.

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jolieve,
He was gifted to me! I don't know what type he was, but he was my most favorite tank inhabitant. It used to be out all the time, so cute and cuddly looking. Lived up to that "SeaHare" name. He also ate the green hair algea and brown, short hair algea. I freaked when he ate everything and seemed to have no food. But he just kept finding things to eat, cause he kept on poopin'. The middle of June I had a sudden salinity drop, and that's probably why I can't find him now. Which really sucks, big time, even more than the dino!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey knowse would it make you feel better if i showed you two penis' :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
Saturday I got so aggrivated that I syphoned all of the sand in the front half of the tank, which was all the sand "infected" with the dinos. Did a whopping 3g water change, but forgot to clean the pre-filter on the maxijet. The dinos did NOT reappear, except for on the pre-filter. YEAH!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: