• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

lobo42a

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why not ,but what would you want to do that for, use established substrate or live rock from one of your tanks.

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything will be already established...just thought there may be a rule on the water used...it would be super easy to just do water changes weekly from a established larger system, but not sure if this would be fair to others that dont have that advantage, if the goal is to all start on the same footing..there would be no comparison to using this method over someone who only has a nano..I could get sps to start growing to the glass in no time compared to someone trying to start from scratch

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how using water from an established tank is an advantage.

What is it about old water that you believe is better?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto.

Used water has a minimal content of beneficial bacteria and less trace elements than new SW because your existing tank has used some of them.

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take rock and sand and water from a tank I have with near perfect water conditions imo its better than using all raw salt water..just my experiance...
I'd never take stock from my main system and put it right in raw water in another system when I can put it in the same water it was just removed from

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your first statement, experience is the best teacher. In my experience it doesn't seem to make a difference.

On the second, I agree, but swapping out all the water before adding each animal would tend to stress the animals already in the system in my opinion.

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok..I put together a few pics of my 180 that was recently removed from out of our house into a 16x20 greenhouse addition..
www.tropicalmarineimports.com/tank.html
Some of the stock pictured will be where the nano stock is derived
We have a 4 month old and a 2.5 year old so decided having such a big tank in the house is not appropriate anymore..I have been designing a greenhouse addition to increase the capacity of my personal system to 1000 plus gal
www.tropicalmarineimports.com/ghleft.html
I still have to finish this greenhouse addition with shingles, insulation ground cover etc,but have put it on the back burner for now to construct a 20x48 commercial freestanding GH with seperate power/gas than from my residental
I know for a fact that if I took the xenia and some sps frags ,rock, sand,water etc from this system , they would be much better off than if I transferd them to RAW water,they would never even skip a beat

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. The greenhouse looks like it's going to be your favorite place in the house once you get it going :)

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it already is :)

But I will probably finish the commercial free standing gh first

We also have a 135 gal sps dominated tank that I'll take some frags from for the nano

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just thought I'd throw in a pic of the sps tank before it gets tore down as well

www.tropicalmarineimports.com/sps.html

The pic dont do the coral & clams justice though..they are WAY more bright and colorful in person but I need a better camera for pics under high light..the camcorder I use shows the colors washed out at high light levels

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.tropicalmarineimports.com/sps2.html

this pic come out way more clear but the file is large,the sps colors are still washed out lookin but you can see alot of detail in this image..Wish I could capture the true colors

the table acro to the left is bright pink in person and the other whitish lookin one is bright yellow with blue tips the purple humillis is way more purple etc etc..cant wait to get a nikon 8800 :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....Coral, you gonna use one of those 1000watters on your build off tank? :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: