• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I like the look of that tank.

I also like the look of the back. That is just the wall showing through right?

Is it a pia to keep the back clean?

A

Anonymous

Yes, it's the wall showing through, and no, it's not hard to keep clean. I use a blade on it every other week, depending. Sometimes I just do the front glass to take pics. You can see snail tracks in one of the pics on the Nano Build Off thread, I didn't want to clean the glass that day, I was testing to see how dirty I could let it get without driving myself crazy lookin at it. Needless to say, that didn't last :lol:
I just removed the snails today, cuz they've been knocking the new frags around, so it may get dirty faster now. I am surprised that there is virtually no coralline on the glass, but the rockwork is becoming covered. There are some spots behind the rockwork where you cannot see it, but the coralline is heaviest on horizontal surfaces.

One thing I have noticed is that it's such a royal PITA to keep the alk up. I almost cannot wait til the contest is over so I can add a sump to it. Make my life much easier :)

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the delay. I use Kalk drip and supplement it with Seachem Reef Builder power, mixed into top off water. Works well, but I need to add it often.

Check my contest thread, dumb things happened. Me :D

A

Anonymous

unleashed":2qca4y1l said:
Well, I'm an idiot. I recall thinking to myself when I started this tank that I should stick a piece of paper to the front glass with "Don't do anything stupid" written on it. Evil or Very Mad

Pfft.

So, about two weeks ago, I decided to buy a new bulb. A nice 10K bulb. I bought the XM 175w 10K and installed it. It looked glorious! And wisely (I thought) adjusted the light timer to decrease the photoperiod, and break the tank in slowly to the new bulb. It wasn't enough. It took me about a week to realize (DOH) that it was the reason my new acros were bleaching. So I hurriedly changed it back. Lost a number of small frags, and the larger ones bleached halfway, then stopped on a dime as soon as the old bulb went back in. Including my birdsnest. I have been watching closely since, and the bleaching has definitely stopped. I wonder how long it will take for them to return to normal? No idea. *sigh*

To complicate matters, I bought a striped fang blenny at the same time the new bulb went in. It died within two days of what seemed to be velvet. Those of you who are reading along will recall I've wanted one for a while now. Then, my canary wrasse, ole One-Eye, died. I am unsure whether the new fish's death had anything to do with it, so I decided to blame the coral banded shrimp, Tina. I removed her and took her to the store and sold her. Bye Tina, I loved you, but I was always uneasy about you being in there, and right now I need to lessen my stress levels Shocked
I replaced her with two small cleaner shrimp.

How many times have I told others to be careful with new bulbs?? Rolling Eyes

How many times have I told others to quarantine new fish??? Rolling Eyes

During all of this chaos, I never thought of testing for ammonia. Chances are, there was a small ammonia spike when One Eye died. That's the problem with wrasses...they tend to bury themselves in the gravel and many days can pass before you realize they are No Longer Alive. Dammit to hell. OH and let's not forget to mention the nasty cyano bloom that occurred in the midst of this Apocalypse.

So, let's see where things stand now:

-Lost: one new bulb. I bought another brand, since XM has quite a high PAR rating I won't bother trying it again. I will try the Ushio 10K instead. It is sitting on my computer desk, I'm scared to change it. Gimme another month, maybe then Very Happy In the meantime, the old bulb will have to do until I work up the courage to change it.

-Lost: Fangfish. *sniff*

-Lost: Ole One Eye, the canary wrasse. *sniff*

-Lost: Half my acro's and monti's due to bleaching. Grrr.

-Annoying cyano bloom. PITA, but dealable.

Positive points:

-Throughout all, the LPS's did well. Open brain has grown, fox coral looks lovely, cynarina was moved to a spot with less current and is doing well, platygyra receded a bit, but is holding on nicely. When I added the new bulb the rock anemone moved towards the platygyra, and at one point was touching it. I was concerned about stinging, but no damage that I can see. Rock anemone is still too close for my peace of mind, but both are doing well. I note that the platygyra is more than capable of defending itself Laughing

Remaining fish:

-Engineer Boy, the convict blenny, has grown to a healthy 5 inches. Holy Crap! He moves so sinuously,too Very Happy

-Six line wrasse, fatter than ever, and still no sign of flatworms, guess they are gone for good, or the cyano is camouflaging them Rolling Eyes

-Emerald crab: slightly peeved, but going strong.

-Two new cleaner shrimp, smallish, about an inch long each. Hanging out together on the powerhead cartridge. Eating like pigs.

-Canary Fang Blenny (Meiacanthus oualanensis): a most recent and appreciated addition. I wanted another yellow fish to replace the canary wrasse. He is doing very well, eating like a pig, no ich Very Happy and actually makes up for the loss of the striped fangfish and the canary wrasse, both.

Wow, tons of changes huh?

The light still burned them even though you cut the period down? I wish someone would write a guide on how to upgrade to a brighter light...

When I went from flourescent to MH I changed by cutting the period way way down and it didn't help either. Maybe you need to start with the light raised way up off of the tank or something.

Well, good luck...

A

Anonymous

I thought about that too late. The next time I change the bulb, I will rig the pendant so I can raise it higher. Hard to do on a 20 gallon tank, you see. Blinding, in fact :lol:

Ah well. Things are going well otherwise. The tank seems to be getting back to its old self :D I will not tempt fate by changing anything for the next little while.

A

Anonymous

Unleashed":r1ijg2q6 said:
I thought about that too late. The next time I change the bulb, I will rig the pendant so I can raise it higher. Hard to do on a 20 gallon tank, you see. Blinding, in fact :lol:

Ah well. Things are going well otherwise. The tank seems to be getting back to its old self :D I will not tempt fate by changing anything for the next little while.

Is the light too low to place several layers of nylon screen over the top of the tank? Once a week just remove one layer and the corals can adjust. A bunch of glass plates will actually work as well but be sure not to get hot glass wet.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Guy. A friend of mine (in real life) also mentioned that to me, but it was too late by then. When I told him what had happened, he said that he had mentioned it to me when I bought the bulb, but I honestly didn't recall him telling me that. It sounds imminently logical, so I'm sure I would have done it. I intend to change the bulb again soon. So stay tuned for more sobbing and wailing :evil: :oops:

Grr.

A

Anonymous

Hey, would you mind to much posting a pic of the foot of that anenome in the corner? I am interested in seeing what it looks like. I am still trying to get mine out of this dang rock...

A

Anonymous

knucklehead":3lvlyksj said:
Hey, would you mind to much posting a pic of the foot of that anenome in the corner? I am interested in seeing what it looks like. I am still trying to get mine out of this dang rock...

Sure thing. Problem is, my camera uses a great deal of power, for some reason. I use re-chargeable batteries, but usually I can only use my camera for a few hours, even with freshly recharged batteries. Brand new regular batteries are worse, they only last half an hour 8O Since I put the batteries in around noon today, and the camera has been sitting beside my puter since then, a good ten hours, it is almost battery dead, but I managed to snap a few shots.

Remind me to ask Santa for a new digital. ******* thing :evil:

Attachments

• oct6 043.jpg
    oct6 043.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 952
  • oct6 040.jpg
    oct6 040.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 950
A

Anonymous

Wow!

That is wicked looking.

I want mine hanging way up there!

stupid thing stuck in a rock...

Tomorow I am turning the frelling rock upside down, that should send it scouting out new territory...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been up there for a while now. During the day it moves halfway back down, opens completely, basks for a while, and when the MH goes off, it moved closer to the top again until the next day. It seems inclined to stay there. And I'm not inclined to argue with it :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really nifty. Pretty smart for a beautiful, brainless animal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: