• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've faded out of the game a bit over this last year, focusing more on a vivarium that I started up and diving into terrestrial/epiphytic ecosystems.

Anyway, I got some equipment together and decided to get a tank up and running. A quick rundown of the specs:

- 10 gal tank
- AC 500 + surface skimmer
- 96W Coralife Aqualight
- a couple big rocks (sandstone) from the Oregon coast

officenano.jpg

The entire system was designed around the idea of a small coral head or bommie in the lagoon or leeward reef, some isolated clump of rock in the middle of a ton of sand. Inhabitants consist of a single 3-stripe damsel. A few snails will eventually be added. Plans are to have a few colonies of Pocilliporids, a single branching Acro or Monti, and then allow some pom-pom xenia to festoon the rest. That's it--simple and sweet. Will add updates as things progress.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looking rocks.

But sandstone can be silicate based, and cause you problems down the road.

B

ickypimp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would replace the sandstone with CURED reef rock, you will benefit from added biological filtration provided by the rock then, silicates will cause problems with diatom blooms IMO

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I should replace the glass tank with an acrylic one, seeing as how glass is silicate based as well?

I'm good on biological filtration--with such a low bioload, there is plenty of bacterial film in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: