• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm Anne! I have a 20 gal tank and in need of a compact Protein Skimmer.

Has anyone had any luck with a particular one?

THanks in advance
Anne

HkySk8r187

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can fit a hang on back skimmer I would recommend an Aqua C Remora. They work great and you never have to adjust them. Don't get a prizm unless you want to spend all your time tuning the settings everyday just to skim half as good as the remora.

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second the Remora, but IMO a skimmer isn't really necessary on a tank that size unless you have a pretty high bioload/don't do weekly water changes. Weekly 10-20% water changes will keep your water quality in check.

JMO though. 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, The reason I'm interested in getting one, is I've got this 'scum' across the top of the tank water. I've tried scooping with a net, but I really try to keep stuff outta there!

Have you ever dealt with that?
Anne

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lay a white paper towel on the water surface and then slowly pick it up from one side.

A Skimmer will absolutely remove that oil slick (DOCs) but only if the skimmer takes at least some of the water from the surface.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'm interpreting your post. Is I skimmer a product? Or did you mean a skimmer?

And when you say
but only if the skimmer takes at least some of the water from the surface.

Is that bad, or is it your point that I would be topping off often?

Can one run the skimmer intermittantly?

Anne (thanks for your input!)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my post, I meant "A skimmer".

It won't have a noticeable effect on your topoff schedule.

What I was trying to say is that in order to remove the film of DOCs on the water surface the water has to pour over some type of overflow when it goes to the skimmer. If the skimmer input is below the water surface like most then it will reduce the film on the surface, but not eliminate it. Many skimmers have an optional surface skimmer to pull input water from the top of the tank.

Yes, you can run a skimmer intermittantly. If you chose that route I suggest running it at night.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh..I see! Thank you very much for the clarification! I'm off to do some comparing...

Anne

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: