• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pico owner out there, what do you use to scrape algae on your pico (<1gal) acrylic tanks? I find that the Kent pro scraper is way too big. Hell, even a credit card is too big. A bamboo skewer is too thin... any ideas for something in between (that also doesn't scratch the acrylic)?

Any ideas welcome (no matter how wacky).
Mihai

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the nubs and I love them for the loose film algae. They do 80-90% of the job. However, I have some algae that just don't get off with the nubs. Those and some that look a bit like coraline algae, are hard and would not get off either with the nubs or with the toothbrush. I need something hard to scrape them off - the credit card works fine (slow, but fine), but it's too big for the tank - besides to reach to the botom I have to stick my hand in and the pico overflows...

David, I guess that the brush works well for the loose fine algae that I get, but not for the hard ones...

More input needed...

Thanks,
Mihai

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try the opposite end of a disposable plastic spoon or knife.

basically, you can use any plastic piece that's softer than acrylic but still stiff enough to be effective against coralline/scale, e.g. polypropylene (PP) and polystyrene (PS).

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we're talking! I can probably even cut half of the cup of the spoon. I think that this will do, thanks!

M.

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic spoon/knife is a great idea. You could also cut the credit card to size and use some epoxy to attach it to a bamboo skewer. Mini Kent pro scraper ghetto style.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sugar Magnolia":3b6fy5s6 said:
You could also cut the credit card to size and use some epoxy to attach it to a bamboo skewer. Mini Kent pro scraper ghetto style.

It crossed my mind, but I think that the skewer is not rigid enough for the job (some of those algae are really tough) - the plastic spoon usually has a sturdy handle.

M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a 1/4 inch dowel from the hardware store and epoxy a piece of a wilkenson double edged razor blade onto it on a slight angle so that you can scrape the side with the dowel almost standing straight up.

not sure if that is a good idea for an acrylic tank, but it does great on a small glass one.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it's not for my acrylic: I managed to scratch my glass display, I'll mess the pico up in no time. But it's something to keep in mind for the JBJ 6 gal I see in my future :).

M.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: