• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular reef is an improvement over the last two designs in that the lid can now be removed over and over without affecting the true sealing of the system. This aquarium is about 4 weeks old, and has not been topped off, however I have done several 90% water changes to battle the typical cycling trends of diatoms and various unwanted populations.

I improved the sealing technique by using weatherstripping as in the first two reef models, but this one had a seal of silicone beaded thickly around the tank and was allowed to dry all the way around the lid (between the weatherstripping contact areas) securing it to the tank. After curing, I used a razor to cut a single pass around the lid, freeing it from the tank, with a perfect seal cut in place that only needs top weight to press it into place (the canopy and fan weight is sufficient) when the lid is re-installed. Again the power cords to the pump and heater were cut and ran through black grommets in two holes of the fitted glass lid, to prevent evaporation through the cable-pass channels.

The other systems had an eventual breakdown in the seals due to repeated stress, they wouldn't hold the true alignment and did let water slip out over time...these seals are reinforced better with heavy silicone, hopefully that will hold longer without maintenance. This reef has a small desk fan on it during 'lights on' and I work hard to keep my max internal room temp at 74 degrees (with my ac system)--that is the tradeoff in keeping a tiny sealed reef. It is handy not to have to topoff, but the temperature max of the room is lowered significantly if you want to keep enough light on the system to grow SPS. I depend solely on my home ac to control all temperature variants, the little 6" heater (Tronic brand) does the job fom inside the reef when things are cool in the fall and winter.

So far I've invested about $350-400 into the coral frags, buying only the best lot from the local pet shops, when they have small frags available. Twice I have purchased some very expensive acro bushes to install by clipping all the growth branches off the colony. The round nub of acro leftover is given back to a fellow aquarist to regrow sometime in the distant future.

stocked with: Acropora elec. green and red varieties, small orange ricordia (dime-size) clavularia, briareum (small, isolated patch->it took over my last tank), several zoanthid varieties, two blastomussa varieties, three kinds of caulastrea (Candy Coral) which comprise the focal point of the horizontal line aquascape, two tiny kenya tree frags, 1 isolated blue and red mushroom, white pumping xenia, brown button polyps (palythoa) small yellow montipora frag, tiny porites mound (eraser-size), a few heads of anthelia, yellow polyps (parazoanthus a.)

I used tweezers, surgical tools and automotive super glue gel to hold it all in place. The lighting is one 13w 50/50 above, one from the side and a 7watt 6500 K for the rear refugium lighting (constant-on). This refugium is growing well in the rear housing, fills it completely every month or so in the other models.

Attachments

• tapeMeasure.5.jpg
    tapeMeasure.5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 18,232
  • CLoseupnumber1.jpg
    CLoseupnumber1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17,914
  • Mini.52005.jpg
    Mini.52005.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 20,324

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this pico I went bare-bottom and heavy LR/water volume ratio with high flow (high energy) activity inside the tank, a 10 gallon powerhead makes furious throw across 9 inches. The LR walls help to break up damaging turbulence. I find that stronger current keeps the zoanthids short and compact, that looks better to me than how they stretch out in the lower levels of the aquascape...

It can easily support some bioload like a shrimp (and it's associated feed/waste contributions) but I'm so bent on lowering maintenance and keeping coral density high, I just went coral-only (no shrimps for now). These dense pico reefs must be fed standard reef foods ( in tiny quantities ) regularly, fish and shrimps aren't the only animals seeking ongoing protein support. Corals enjoy some minute and consistent suspended matter, but they can get by on tiny amounts which translates into fewer water changes. There can't be any catch-traps for detritus unless you can clean them regularly...I guage all crash events in the pico reef (as related to old tank syndrome) by the growth of hair algae, my goal in design is to postpone that condition as long as possible.

The etched sign is made to form a display setup of the system, to give non-aquarists a read into the inner workings and animals supported. A custom display sign costs $30 at any etching facility. Once I took the reef around town to a few places and was able to have some neat discussions with people about nano tanks.

I didn't take any pictures of this one's build, but it was done just like these old ones. Same for the rear shot with refugium, in this photo it is easy to see the weatherstripping running down inside the lip of the acrylic tank to seal the glass lid, this was my first reef of this type. All I did was get a new acrylic tank (my last clean one, I only bought three) and transfer it over to the same stand and canopy I have used for 3-4 years now. I have these other old, crusted acrylic boxes as shadows of what once was a palmtop barrier reef and they look good on the other stands I am not using (white and black). Sometimes I think it'd be neat to spraypaint this one with a white canopy so I can use my other white wooden base, just for a change I might do that.

Attachments

• Empty.5.jpg
    Empty.5.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 18,393
  • Freshwater.5Fill.jpg
    Freshwater.5Fill.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 17,985
  • Dcp_0041.jpg
    Dcp_0041.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 18,184

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn't take time to photoshop the jacked up camera dates. Only the ones dated 2003 are correct and the ones dated 30 or 2001 are the result of some kind of software corruption likely representing the first documented case of a computer virus worming and manifesting into a remote device@ my camera simply assigns a random date to each picture and I can't stop it.

Attachments

• Mesenteries.jpg
    Mesenteries.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,882
  • miniscraper.jpg
    miniscraper.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 3,883
  • micromarihydno.jpg
    micromarihydno.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,907
  • Macrosunburstacan.jpg
    Macrosunburstacan.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,649
  • ruler.50.jpg
    ruler.50.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,914
  • water change.jpg
    water change.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3,920

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
several methods will work for dosing a sub-gallon reef system. I use two part additives and dose like this:

C-balance and DT's phyto/reef eggs only.

Small injections of each Dt's twice a week, as in a few drops, and alternating days of 1 capfull from each of the C-balance additives given each morning. The system is fairly forgiving of a skipped additive when out of town, but previous alk and Ca++ tests on earlier picos show that consumption is enough to warrant frequent but small alkalinity doses if I want consistent pH. Dosing the pH-raising carbonate additive (of the two part dosers) in the morning before lights on raises the pH of the tank during the lowest trough phase, the rest of the day heavy photosynthesis does the work. The year+ point is really a benchmark to test the system's stability, these corals are the ones that did best in my earlier systems and I hope they will do the same in this one. The red and green acroporids are new additions to the aquascape

Considering the proportionate balance of these common 2-dosers systems, that every-other day alkalinity support warrants frequent calcium addition to remain in balance. I skip weekends to prevent overdosing and possibly precipitating the high calcium/alk water balance in this pico reef.

Attachments

• Macropolyps.jpg
    Macropolyps.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 17,858
  • refugium.jpg
    refugium.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 17,467

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some neat pictures from a few years ago. These old pictures have already been posted but I don't think it was in a general forum. This was a display at the Science Spectrum Lubbock, I was able to get around 3000 people to see it out of sheer luck, they let me post it right next to the line and cash register which extended for a one hour wait at times. The most interesting part was reviewing it with the on-staff PhD's, Tech MarineBiol affiliates and others used to saltwater setups but not micro reefs...the approach we know now as simple pico reefing and a little rigorous maintenance was not common back then, so even the seasoned had to stop for several minutes to look at the smallest reef they'd seen. Good times

Attachments

• RDO Sign.jpg
    RDO Sign.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 18,087
  • CarReef.jpg
    CarReef.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 18,477
  • 8749_1059486650.jpg
    8749_1059486650.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 18,369

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to frag a large brown montipora colony into several pieces for this pico reef, same setup as the one above. I didn't care it wasn't the most colorful...it was the first time I'd coaxed SPS into growing consistently it was really grown out before it crashed some time later in a heat spike (home ac failure on 100 degree May day 2003)

This aquarium stand, tank and canopy are not mine, they are an 'R' type aquarium that went out of business I think, no LFS around here can get them and I've never seen them on the net but others say they have. They are made for bettas...you have to retrofit lifts and wiring channels for the canopy, install fans, install the baffle refugium and attach palm lights to make it a reef. I paid Crafton's Glass cutters here in Lubbock $45 to make the custom curved glass lid. Acrylic was my first venture, but warped due to heat issues. Pane glass solved the warping and allowed good seals to restrict evaporation. The internal refugium is pruned regularly and is used to make constant oxygen production for the system. A form of waste removal is provided with the constant plant growth and removal...

Attachments

• brown montipora 2003.jpg
    brown montipora 2003.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17,872

4wheelin69

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, Thanks for letting me come over and check out this .5 reef. Guys this tank is awsome given on how small this tank really is. Brandon has some great corals in there, A couple that I am jelous of . Hey Brandon when that Green and red acro grows out I want a frag. I have some pink birds nest that would look great in there.

Later
Branon

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the reply! I'd gladly give you some, sometime I might even pull out a few frags to make room for other acro varieties when the rarer ones show up from time to time or at a frag swap. I enjoyed having you guys over to talk reefs, can't wait to see your 2.5 as it is maturing and growing coral. Come back anytime, feel free to bring anyone who is in our area! See you

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350$ worth of corals for a .5 gallon tank?

maybe showing my wife this tank will ensure she doesn't mind the hundred or so I think I am going to drop into my 55 gallon tank :D

Great looking.

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":2hd55b6u said:
maybe showing my wife this tank will ensure she doesn't mind the hundred or so I think I am going to drop into my 55 gallon tank :D

:lol: Thanks for the laugh! $100.... :lol:

Brandon, the tank is great! Truely amazing.

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100$ for corals in the 55? I can't help but laugh. I dropped 50$ for two corals yesterday, and most recently spent 30$ on a trachyphyllia.

Good luck trying to keep that spending down.

Brandon, very nice pico. I wish I had the patience to maintain a setup that small. I'm not sure I could do it.

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jolieve":2fxtbck2 said:
100$ for corals in the 55? I can't help but laugh. I dropped 50$ for two corals yesterday, and most recently spent 30$ on a trachyphyllia.

Good luck trying to keep that spending down.

Brandon, very nice pico. I wish I had the patience to maintain a setup that small. I'm not sure I could do it.

J.

Apparently you have never met anyone as freakin cheap as I am....

My 55 is stocked now, I have an anenome, a finger leather, and a bunch of algae....All done!

hehe

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, at least you will have ample growing room for the items, save on pruning, and can really grow them out. Leaves lots of swimming room for fish as well, and easier to clean without all the space being consumed.

That is one long-term issue I have seen in these pico designs when they are stocked so densely with coral and LR... pockets of detritus form regardless of sand or no sand, caused by flow obstruction inevitable with so much lack of open space...

4wheelin69

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get dibs on the first frags. I am closer than everyone else. Post those pics Brandon.

PS you still have to come and check my tanks out.

later

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's some update pics. The system is nearly 100% stocked, now it's time to let it age and grow into place. Added are:
-pulsing xenia
-red and green acanthastrea, 3-polyp frag top right corner of tank, slightly damaged at LFS will recover in about a month or so
-two 1"leather coral trees
-birdsnest pocillopora
-blue/green acropora frags
-3 varities total blastomussa
-hammer coral euphyllia ancora

Some of the yellow caulastrea heads along the front are dividing mouths and the acanthastrea has a tiny 1/16" bud along the side, an anthocauli? I'll get a macro of it sometime. I have had to resort to gluing frags on the side of the wall, directly to the acrylic, ran out of room on the reef face.

Don't forget dates are wrong-- this was taken 9/25/05...

Attachments

• 1sideview.jpg
    1sideview.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 17,639
  • 1elongate.jpg
    1elongate.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 17,639
  • 1closeup.jpg
    1closeup.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 17,644

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: