• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason this Kodak will not capture the electric green of the GSP, it just has some sort of drab cast over the pic when compared to a live view. I have friends at work with a penchant for digital photography, I'm sure one of them will come over to snap a pic group for me and that's what I'll use in the layout. I once called some assorted photography pros in the phonebook, but none would come out for less than $75-100 which is likely the only justified use of their time. I tell you that Antoine's cool pix submissions have sure made me consider that setup, wow on the macro pics!

One of the aquscaping challenges of this system involves careful consideration of full polyp expansion, the affect on neighboring corals, and planning for long-term growth. I don't enjoy keeping pico reefs that are any more demanding than larger setups, the primary challenge is to make a 'palmtop reef' run with the same consistency as a 5+g setup and that is an ongoing challenge.

The GSP wasn't always so dense in this aquascape, but it has taken the better part of a year to get this prominent--an acceptable growth rate for me. A coral banded shrimp (tiny juvenile) combs the reef at night picking detritus and various tissues for cleanliness. At any time I could have used 'stats to pull the GSP back and prune, but I have decided to let it take over my central m. digitata colony as a demonstration of proximal warfare. Both were cultured colonies cloned by fragmentation 50 times over, so I see it much like feeder fish and oscars. Is it really required for survival in the captive aquarium? No, however it is an interesting element of reef life I can re-create without any impact to either species. It's nice to be in a branch of the marine hobby where that can be said...

It is most interesting to see the ways coralline algae and GSP have conformed to the reef face over time to seal it together, and over take all but an eraser-sized area of brown montipora tip growth (still visible in closeup pic near hammer coral). I'm going to keep it in check away from my pagoda and euphyllias (on the left side of the reef, with supplemental palm light)

Dealing with small LPS heads that can have sweepers is particularly challenging in a 1/2 gallon reef. A critical method for me is to have a directional flow of water from the powerhead, that always keeps them flowing in one direction. With that assurance I can plant a candy coral group right alongside a hammer coral and rest assured they'll never touch. They are 1/2" apart in the photgraph below. I also use in certain places small clips of curved plastic as polyp blockers, cut out from one of my daughter's barnie doll packages and about the size of a quarter with one edge curled up...glued in place just under the frag. There is one in the upper left hand corner of the reef face protecting a pagoda frag (size of a quarter) from the frogspawn below it. The neatest effect is the plastic goes almost 100% clear underwater, making it nearly invisible. When they become opaque from reef deposition they are easy to replace.

These pics were taken at night and some of the corals are withdrawn for the night phase (beatings from the boxer shrimp who is really just thoroughly hunting for food) namely the frogspawn and the hammer corals. I have tried to mimic the structure of a full-blown reef aquarium by using smaller chunks of live rock and calcified oyster shells as the reef slope, rather than large inserts that take up too much space. The key in getting this look is not using frags that take up any more of a % viewing area than that same larger colony would take up in a 120 gallon reef.

For example: When you look at the front pane of glass on a 120 reef, a given blastomussa colony may only take up 35-55 square inches in the field of view. It does not consume 1/3 of the total viewing area, so if we were to try to mimic the natural presence of this colony in a pico reef face one should only use a group of polyps that consume a nickel or quarter-sized fragment to remain in scale. The scaling doesn't have to be exact; it is an attempt to mimic and that is sufficient when you repeat the process for 20 individual frag placements. Shop for tiny polyps, I have seen the same species blastomussa come in eraser-sized polyps or half-dollar size--depending on the age of the colony, its origins and growth conditions during maturation.

The blurry rear shot is an internal refugium that is a source of balance for the system. it has chaetomorpha and grape racemosa. I meant it it work hand-in-hand with the top pane of glass as an evaporation-restriction system, with built in 02 pump. I also attribute my algal cleanliness to the heavy uptake of the refugium, I prune a full handfull of macroalgae 1-2 times a month. it is crawling with copepods and may also be a source of nutrition for the system.

I hoped to create a false wall effect when viewed from the front... the best possible scenario is for it to not look like a 2-inch thick reef wall when seen from the frontal shot. The system is about 3.5 inches front-to-back, one for the refuge and 2 for the coral real estate.

Attachments

• AAAFeb2005.1.jpg
    AAAFeb2005.1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,294
  • AAAAFeb2005.12.jpg
    AAAAFeb2005.12.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • rear.5Feb2005.jpg
    rear.5Feb2005.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,288
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon what lighting are you running inside the canopy (Wattage?)..I have the same one you have on the front of your tank (color is the same too!) its a 7W bulb...

Currently I have the original light that came with the Deco art pico (13W PC) and the one like you have on the front of your tank (7W PC)...Do you think that would be enough to keep softies in my .68gal?

Im even thinking of adding on a 50/50 bulb (coralife?) to increase it and add some actinic to it...

Since i cant find any decent epoxy to glue the rocks (hillbilly linked me to some decent stuff in another thread in the GRD), how did you stablize your LR?

i have some brown zoos and gsps in mine currently(gsp's never open and beginning to think they're dying)
along with a camel shrimp, hermit, emerald crab and a turbo snail (I think the camel shrimp may go since it never shows its ugly mug in public)...

I dont think ill keep any fish (in which case all but the snail would go) unless i can find a dwarf goby (trimma sp.)

If i can find micro stars, I will put some in for sand sifting, but harbor aquatics was the only place i knew that had them and they're no longer in business...

When you get a chance, could you post your livestock too..(I know youre busy and im asking alot)

But Hey! Im a fan of your tanks!

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this canopy there is one 13watt bulb (50/50) from hellolights.com. It is a stripped-down galaxy light, and to fight the heating effects of the sealed system there are two micro DC computer fans blowing right across the bulb. This unit really uses a power strip, the next upgrade is to have one single wire connected to a project/junction box with another single wire that plugs into the wall (to eliminate the wire clutter). In that project box there would be the electrical guts of a small 6-plug surge protector, and the gutted down wall-socket ballasts of the 13watt pc lights.

There is also an additional 14watts from two 7watt palm lights like you use, I really like them! They can be used to spotlight a dimmer area of the tank, and in this case they provide 80% of the light for the euphyllias and the refugium light left on 24/7. Talk about longevity, the same refugium Palm Light has been on continuously for 1+years and is still fine. The wall plug does get up to 160 deg., been meaning to ask an electrician if that is a concern...
I am sure they will keep soft corals, but the corals must be very close to the light because it is only 7watts. In this particular setup, palm lights are kept 1-2 inches away from frogspawn & E. ancora heads the diameter of a quarter. This is sufficient intensity for the coral specimens, I have grown two small frogspawn buds and 1/2" of new coral skeleton with this 6000K pc light, based on their positioning the upper 13 watt bulb doesn't hit them much. I'm glad you like to keep and discuss pico reef setups, they are a unique challenge!

I like your idea of excluding the fish, the fish doubles the required maintenance load for long term success. I find that a well-placed invert specimen such as a typical reef crab (tiny juvenile) makes a great motile animal for the system. I've never liked hermit crabs in a pico reef setup. My system has several asterina (micro) stars and even a 1/2" brittle star that I never see. A friend specially picked him out of a refugium for me, lucky find there. I also have 5 small cowries that provide some scavenging and movement to the system during viewing.

By the way, the dating is jacked up on my Kodak digicam. All these pictures were taken yesterday and today. I am working with malfunctioning Kodak, will not hold the dating from week to week.

Attachments

• AAA.Upclose.5feb2005.jpg
    AAA.Upclose.5feb2005.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,186
  • 3 inch reef.jpg
    3 inch reef.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • fromunda.reef.jpg
    fromunda.reef.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,164
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you keep the LR in place? I also have a small brittle star, smaller than a 1/4"..its about the size of a pencil eraser (on mechinical pencils)..Ive only seen it twice when i got the LR..havent seen it since the tank has been set up and for all I know it didnt make it..I have a ton of bristle worms..Do you think those will pose a problem with corals..I have a really narly one that is about 6" best guess...Its body thickness is the largest ive ever seen in person...

I imagine you do frequent water changes and I emphasize frequent...Ive been slacking but tomorrow sounds like a good day for a w/c for me...

Eventually Id like to get Euphyllia (glabersens or ancora)...I have trouble finding it at my LFS..when they do have it, its a larger colony and not branching making it difficult if not impossible to fragment...

I find hermits virtually useless except for entertainment..I have them in my 20..I use them for comic relief not so much as a detrivoire...

Bingo has sent me some frags to get started..Some ric, hairy mushroom, 5 green mushrooms a kenya tree and caulastrea (which he stated got into a fight with some mushrooms and he had to frag to save the mother colony..He said the fragged specimens have looked alot better in the past couple days...so he sent them to me.. those will go in my main tank until i have full recovery..)

Also, for heating..I have this
p_18821_26782P_1.jpg

This seems to make it a little warmer than desired, Im not sure of the temp cuz i still need to get one of those stick on thermometers for my tank..I work for the state, so the temp seems to stay at ambient most of the time but im not sure during the evening when everyone is gone..

Sorry for the billion questions, but ive seen your success so why not ask someone who knows...

and that Nano issue of Coral still inspires me..I keep it at work for inspiration :D

(yes Im a reef geek)

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, I forgot about securing the frags to the rock facing. The bulk of the curved reef structure is two spiny oyster shells (a halved individual) overlapping in the center. You know, lean it flat-side forward against the back wall and super glue (gel) the frags to the front surface to bulid the polyp density. I've used regular cyanoacrylate gel from Autozone, walmart etc. It is not water-soluble, provided there are no risky accessory chemicals to prevent skin-bonding or quick/slow drying formulas. Also, super glue tends to be the preferred bonding agent in pico reefs because the frags are very small and easily held in place after a 5 second set time. Its not like a larger setup where the sheer weight of th heavy colony requires epoxy...found that out when I installed the 16 gallon reef.

The oyster shells were incredibly old and had no white shell surface left, they were 100% live rock--not just coralline. I happened to notice them one day in a giant LFS display, and they were luckily shaped just oblong enough to take up the full field of view in the 9 inch long aquascape.

I change the water every two weeks, have gone as long as one month before but I noticed some hair algae indicating an outpacing of the refugium uptake. When the sealed system was first installed, the seals worked perfectly and held 100% against evaporation, it was not topped off and required zero topoff in between water changes. In time the seals have been nicked and stressed as they are pressed onto the lid with a top clamp, so it lets a little evap now and requires one ounce of topoff every four days or so.

I feed a small amount of Dt's reef eggs and cyclopeeze twice a week, there is a yellow sponge/tunicate colony that has seeded opposite sides of the reef structure indicating a thriving filter-feeder system. There are also numerous red fanworms and LR hitchiker fans that have thrived for the life of the system.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever get a chance, please post some close ups too...This is a great inspiration/learning tool for those who are into smaller setups..The research and experimentation you have done is amazing with such a small setup..granted there are dozens of people who have done this before, but how many actually get to see it?

Im hoping to have a better observation of my smaller set up now that it is at work..And since it sits next to my computer, I have more time to witness life interaction than i did with it at home...

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
working with auto topoff or evap restriction seems to be a rewarding task in nanos due to the impact of quick salinity shifts--from there on out the system balance becomes more reliable. Next in line is temperature stability, and the heating device you posted above is neat I chose to run one small 13w bulb so that cooling would be my only obstacle. Fitting in the 6" tronic heater means the house can get as cold as it wants...

Thank you for your words of encouragement! I'm either gonna buy me a cam that can do macro shots or pay someone else to do it soon...

Oh, and the bristleworms may become somewhat of a problem if they are concentrated and larger for the volume of water. I think there would be impact differences between the tiny LR hitchhikers vs. the 3-4" maturing ones. Larger ones would forage endlessly, and that may lead to polyp chewing (not system wide coral consumption) but the tiny ones have never hurt my setups and they were in each one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Brandon, It looks like Ill be having issues with top offs over the weekend...during last weekend (3 dayer) I lost about 1/4 of the water...my gsp's were fully exposed to the air...My question is, do you know of any non-elaborate means of keeping this under control...space is limited as you could see in my pico tank pics...also outlets are limited too...I also have to re-cut the piece of acylic over the top of the pico to help slow down the evap process and to accomodate the lighting ive added...I also find myself topping off in the morning after getting to work and before I leave..so you can see that evaporation is definetly a cause for concern..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Ive taken notice with the smaller organisms in the tank alot more than I would in a larger system...Its neat watching the critters trying to find their niche in such a small closed system..It shows how mother nature works on a large scale even in these small tanks

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be controlled best I think with a Kent drip doser, about $18. Keep a watchful eye on the liquid levels with these gravity-fed units because you use a pinch-roller to restrict fluid travel down an airline hose and it's actually fairly reliable until the fluid level (and resulting top pressure) drops and slows the rate. I do however know it will keep a consistent drip for at least two days, the length of your weekend issues. For the most part I think you can easily keep the autodoser topped off and let it do the drip work into the pico.

The sealing issues will be tough to attain with that external filter, too tough an insert to cut out. The water flow input would be the main leakage, and with these water levels any leakage is about the same as an open top.

These experiences with the auto drip dosers will hopefully help you fix this problem, if I was running a sub-gallon non-sealed system this is what I'd do. Also, your set pinch roller will form compression occlusions if left in one place too long, this too will alter the reliable rate. So, monthly you'll need to release the roller and move it to an new point along the drip line...work out the mashed area and do this repeatedly to keep the drip rate set

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydor is the one I have in my tank which is similar to the one in the picture above..The picture above is from drs foster and smith on their website

www.drsfostersmith.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: