• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NoLimit

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off -- I'm guessing most of this info is likely available through search, but a few quick forays didn't turn up much... IF there are threads with what I need, please direct me there, and I'll happily dig myself.

Hi -- I've got a 37G mini running, and want to downsize (crazy I know...). I'm looking into options for tanks, but am not finding much online.

MY LFS has a JBJ nanocube 12G, which looks kinda cool. I read somewhere that everyone yanks out all of the filter stuff -- do they leave the back wall in there, to have that space for a "sump"?

I also saw the CPR tanks, but they're really expensive...

One more -- saw a Via Aqua 18 G tank here -- can't find any info on them online -- any help?

Are there other ready-made options in the 10-20 gallon range that I should look at?

Additionally, I've got a Remora skimmer that I'd like to move to the new tank -- is it too much for a 12 or 15 G system?

I'd also like to reuse my lights, if possible (24" Coralife aqualight). What's the smallest volume tank that's 24" wide?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoLimit":2gtgfu0b said:
First off -- I'm guessing most of this info is likely available through search, but a few quick forays didn't turn up much... IF there are threads with what I need, please direct me there, and I'll happily dig myself.

Hi -- I've got a 37G mini running, and want to downsize (crazy I know...). I'm looking into options for tanks, but am not finding much online.

Welcome to RDO!!!

MY LFS has a JBJ nanocube 12G, which looks kinda cool. I read somewhere that everyone yanks out all of the filter stuff -- do they leave the back wall in there, to have that space for a "sump"?

I took out everything, and just put a heater/pump back there. There are also some mods you can do to have the water overflow into the back section

I also saw the CPR tanks, but they're really expensive...

One more -- saw a Via Aqua 18 G tank here -- can't find any info on them online -- any help?

Are there other ready-made options in the 10-20 gallon range that I should look at?
Nanocube is pretty nice and simple. Pretty good pricetoo.

Additionally, I've got a Remora skimmer that I'd like to move to the new tank -- is it too much for a 12 or 15 G system?

Depends on what you want to keep. Throw a small MH over it and it could be a killer SPS tank. Or if you like softies/LPS just put the skimmer on a timer to run only at night

I'd also like to reuse my lights, if possible (24" Coralife aqualight). What's the smallest volume tank that's 24" wide?

Hmm, not sure but I think a 20 long is that size.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

No problem!

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef store near me has one of those CPR 6 gallon cubes set up on their counter. They are a bit more expensive, but the stock lighting is much better than the stock that comes in the JBJ cube.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find via aqua's at commodityaxis.com, but they're mega expensive there. I found mine on ebay. Used ones also pop up on the classifieds here, reefcentral, or nano-reef.com. I really like mine... The rounded corners look good, and the stock lighting is adequate for a fairly good number of corals.

J.Howard

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sugar Magnolia":1fk0rdda said:
The reef store near me has one of those CPR 6 gallon cubes set up on their counter. They are a bit more expensive, but the stock lighting is much better than the stock that comes in the JBJ cube.

Are you referring to the old one, or the new DX? Don't see how much better than 48watts of PC it can get unless the CPR has a mini MH or something. I'm very happy with my new Nano DX.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: