• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

The 180g is up for sale now that I'm in a smaller apartment instead of a house. My new tank is a 30g Oceanic cube.

I'm looking for one fish for it, and am thinking about a labouti fairy wrasse or something along those lines. This will be an SPS tank with a few lps (blastos & acanths, mainly).

Any thoughts?

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Hey Chip, what day does Episode III come out? :lol: Yuk yuk yuk. I slay me.

There are smaller fairies I'd consider for that size tank, especially a cube. Labouteis need a lot of swimming room, and I think they get like 5-6". C. rubriventralis and C. flavidorsalis are both pretty easy to find and stay smaller, like 3" IIRC.

Other thoughts--a Radiant wrasse Halichoeres iridis or a Candy Hog Bodianus bimaculatus.

If it were my tank I'd go with a Sunburst anthias though. :D

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll love the cube. ;)

The fariy wrasse may decide to leap out of the tank, so if you do go with that particular fish, cover the top with something. (you probably already knew this huh?)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sugar Magnolia":1akn7r6q said:
You'll love the cube. ;)

The fariy wrasse may decide to leap out of the tank, so if you do go with that particular fish, cover the top with something. (you probably already knew this huh?)

Yeah, I know it. I wish there was something else that spectacular that doesn't jump.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can't decide on a fish...I was thinking female watanabei angel, but if I can't decide I'll leave it fishless with just a few peppermint shrimp.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liopropoma spp. aren't really jumpers. How about a swalesi or swissguard? Don't get a watanabei. Way too small of a tank man!

You could always get a pair of bluestriped pipefish after 6 months or so...

l9620mhb.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1ntygm06 said:
Liopropoma spp. aren't really jumpers. How about a swalesi or swissguard? Don't get a watanabei. Way too small of a tank man!

For a female? Nah...max is 4 inches. The male is 7" or so.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a mystery wrasse.

No pipefish...too difficult.

Thanks for the suggestions, tho.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand blue striped pipes feed sort of like mandarins by picking copepods off live rock. In a well established tank of that size you probably wouldn't even need to feed it. They only get 2-3" long.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":2xfh6qu1 said:
From what I understand blue striped pipes feed sort of like mandarins by picking copepods off live rock. In a well established tank of that size you probably wouldn't even need to feed it. They only get 2-3" long.

Hrm...I didn't know that. Maybe I'll leave it fishless until I can snag a pair of pipefish.

Thanks for the suggestion, Matt!

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the tank today! It's filled, filtered, heated, backgrounded, sanded, and halided. :)

Tomorrow is live rock & live sand from the still-running-180. Then skimmer arrives on Monday (Remora) and then my first corals will be on Tuesday. No fish until I really decide which one I'm going to go with, and probably not until the tank settles down.

I'm leaning toward a labouti or mystery wrasse...

Peace,

Chip

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: