• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rudy":3ab6jv90 said:
Matt_Wandell":3ab6jv90 said:
My only suggestion is to lose that backing and throw some black or dark blue backing on there. I think you'll like the look.
Good idea it was a temporary fix, when I forgot to paint the back black. What is a good backing once already set-up? I ahve never found anything, other than spray paint, that adheres to the glass very well and it is too late to paint as I did my 55 gal.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Kind of an eyesore and detracts form the natural beauty of the reefscape. Some stores sell the vinyl backing that adheres to glass or acrylic. It can easily be removed and comes in black or different shades of blue. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rudy,

You could also get a piece of theatric lighting gel. It comes in lots of differnt colors, and it's cheap. ($6 for a 24" square or so) Also, check out www.manhattanreefs.org It's a local board here in nyc. There's a frag swap coming up in a month or so, it will be on a saturday or sunday. It's a good way to pick up some cheap frags.

There's lots of guys who have zoas and shrooms. and will probably be bringing them! Lots of different colors!

B

Rudy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":2jyh7o4r said:
Rudy,

You could also get a piece of theatric lighting gel. It comes in lots of differnt colors, and it's cheap. ($6 for a 24" square or so) Also, check out www.manhattanreefs.org It's a local board here in nyc. There's a frag swap coming up in a month or so, it will be on a saturday or sunday. It's a good way to pick up some cheap frags.

There's lots of guys who have zoas and shrooms. and will probably be bringing them! Lots of different colors!

B

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look for the theatric gel you mentioned. I imagine at a craft store, right?

With regard to the Frag swap. I would be hard pressed to get much since I really nothing to trade at this point. :(

Having said that I cannot wait to finish work on my 200 gal. I guess I never realized how much of this coral propagation went on in an attempt to promote species diversity in a reef tank. Not to mention, I imagine to keep costs low.

I think I am going to really like my gradual delve from FOLR to Reef. I got to get the plumbing started on the new tank. The DIY, from scratch, stand is complete.

Thanks. This is a great board.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rudy,
I don't think you'll find actual theatrical gel at a craft store. but they might have something really close that would work.

If you're near any schools/colleges with a theater dept, call them up and see where they get theirs. If you know anyone working there, you might get some old stuff for free.

And at the frag swap, good ol' cash works as trade too! People donate frags to the website and the frags are actioned off. the money goes to fund the site.

B

Rudy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo,

Did a web search and that gel a.k.a. filters are short money indeed and I should be able to order on-line from several different sites. Thanks for the tip. BTW, how do I adhere it to the glass or is it self-adhering.

Also, thanks for the clarification RE: frag swap. I wonder if they do mail-order or if they run a thing more local to my area, southern NH?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rudy
I just used scotch tape to attatch mine. I laid the dry tank on it's face and taped the top and the sides to the glass. I taped the four corners down first, so it would stay straight.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: