• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

McFudge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I just wanted to give everyone an update on my tank. You will all be happy to know that the hippo tang has been taken back by LFS and is now living in a 60 gal tank. I also got rid of the maroon clown and he is also at the LFS. Both are reaching the end of their 3 day quarantine and will be sold on consignment.

So saying that, I now have 2 small true percs. I put them in last night, and when i woke up this morning they were both sleeping in the Rose BTA. I was concerned that they would not take to it as i have read that true percs tend to like carpet anenomies and not BTA's. Anyhow, they looked happy in there.

I would like to get one more fish. I was thinking a mandarin. What do you think? I know i have lots of food for one in there now, but don't know how long that will last, as i know they can eat a lot. Do they eat introduced foods?

One last question. I have a Xenia that is light brown/tanish with a hint on green. It is not doing well. I only have the 24w 50/50 PC in there. DO you think that is my issue. It used to do well in there with the same light, so i think maybe not. Should i be trying to feed it micro plankton or other trace stuff.

Thanks for all the help, comments, concerns and suggestions as always.

P.S. Ill try and get some more pics up for you all.

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stay away from the Mandarin, the nano is just to small. The problem is that their food requirement so big, you just can't keep up with feeding them.

I would suggest sticking with just the two percs for now, and go a couple of mionths before introducing another fish. This will allow you to do the proper research in finding a good tankmate.

McFudge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right on the Mardarin. I have been reading up on them the last few days and they seem eat quite a lot.

Oh well...i'll keep my eye out for something else.

On to the next question on my mind. I want to mod my lighting this weekend.

Hwarang...if you are reading this...do you know if i can stuff a 32w PC in with the 24w that is already in the hood. I remember you saying another 24w could be stuffed in there. Just wandering...why not go with a little extra if possible. I also remeber you posted some pictures on how to do such a mod but can't find them. Could you repost or put a link up.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the link:

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t ... g+nanocube

Pics aren't showing anymore for me though.

I think the stock lighting is sufficient for Xenia if it's right near the top. In any case, Xenia does NOT catch prey from the water column, so feeding it will have little value.

Good move with the fish. Check out some of the Gobiodon, Gobiosoma, or Stonogobiops spp. All would make fine tankmates for your clowns.

McFudge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 32w light is discontinued. Does anyone have any suggestions? If i am going to take the time to mod it out i would rather put a 32w in there than another 24w.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out ahsupply.com or hellolights.com. You should be able to find lights of the right dimension there. Or just do like I did--rip the whole top off and put a 96W pendant over it.

McFudge

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have heat issues with the 96w, do you have any pics of what it looks like. I think that might be the way to go. I live at the beach and have no AC in the summer time...which could cause a problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: