• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

hi Matt and all,

here are few pictures of my new tank stand before i paint it.

support-brut-face.jpg

support-brut-fgauche.jpg

support-brut-face2.jpg

stand is 18" wide and 20" high.

tank is 18" x 14" x 13" (+/- a 12G tank)

antoine

dp

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's made out of wood.
quite easy to build, kept it simple.
wood sheets have been glued first, then screwed.

missing the front panel on those pics.
it will be fixed with magnets.

more pics to come :wink:

antoine

dp

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Looks good. What size tank again?

It looks like MDF (don't know the French translation) but it's basically sawdust that's glued together. It's mostly used to build furniture, and then it's veneered/skinned with anther matereal to make it pretty. If you're going to paint it, you don't have to skin it.

However, when MDF gets wet, it deteriorates. so Make sure you get a couple of really good coats of paint on it before you let it get wet! Don't forget the underside as well.

did you design it, or work from plans?

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":2sv7vxqb said:
Nice. Looks good. What size tank again?

It looks like MDF (don't know the French translation) but it's basically sawdust that's glued together. It's mostly used to build furniture, and then it's veneered/skinned with anther matereal to make it pretty. If you're going to paint it, you don't have to skin it.

However, when MDF gets wet, it deteriorates. so Make sure you get a couple of really good coats of paint on it before you let it get wet! Don't forget the underside as well.

did you design it, or work from plans?

B

salut Bingo :wink:

over here it is called "medium" and it looks very much like what you describe (MDF). some sawdust.

a store i know of uses this same MDF to build tanks.

have a look at this. in fact this is the tank of a friend of mine.

http://www.centeraquarium.com/realisation.php

they do (center-aquarium) some great tanks.

i designed mine by myself. no plans needed. and yes, i have four layers of paint on the outside/inside and just varnished it :wink:

stand is 18" wide and 20" high.

tank is 18" x 14" x 13" (+/- a 12G tank)

antoine

dp

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amen to that. I work for Sauder Woodworking ( http://www.sauder.com/ ) so I've seen what water can do to MDF (medium density fiberboard) and particleboard and it isn't pretty. I'd definitely seal it up with a good spar varnish or a RTV silicone paint. Anything to seal the water out. Over the long term, water will swell MDF and cause issues like swelling, telegraphing, etc. They do make a grade that is specifically for use in bathrooms and kitchens -- anyplace that sees a lot of humidity/water. It uses a phenolic resin instead of urea-formaldehyde to bind the wood fibers together. Phenolics are more water resistant than UF.

The stand is looking very nice -- now just seal it and you should be set.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid":3uk7ytv9 said:

Amen to that. I work for Sauder Woodworking ( http://www.sauder.com/ ) so I've seen what water can do to MDF (medium density fiberboard) and particleboard and it isn't pretty. I'd definitely seal it up with a good spar varnish or a RTV silicone paint. Anything to seal the water out. Over the long term, water will swell MDF and cause issues like swelling, telegraphing, etc. They do make a grade that is specifically for use in bathrooms and kitchens -- anyplace that sees a lot of humidity/water. It uses a phenolic resin instead of urea-formaldehyde to bind the wood fibers together. Phenolics are more water resistant than UF.

The stand is looking very nice -- now just seal it and you should be set.

Shane

Shane,

i got four layers of paint on the stand. the inside of the canopy is varnished on top of the four layers. the system is sumpless so i don't expect much water to be in contact with the MDF and being aware of any "possible" problem i am very attentive at any water spill.

thanks for the warning :wink:

Antoine

dp

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: