• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DongShenYin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, how's this set up for a modest shroom tank?

All-Glass Aquarium 7gal minibow
32w Power Compact hood w/ 50/50 bulb
AquaClear 70 (300) as fuge (with AC mini impeller)
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Purifier
Tropic Marin salt
Tronic 50w heater in fuge

Not sure how many pounds of sand and rocks yet

Do I need a powerhead? I've read that mushrooms like low currents.

Any fishes to recommend?

Planning to get:
automatic water top-off
microchiller (I'll probably get it in time for the summer)

Thanks! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Lots for nano. Should be awesome.

Do you plan to use RO or is the Tap Water Purifier and RO unit?

How big is that fuge?

How are you getting the water to and fro the fuge?

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skip the tap filter and just get bottles of distilled or ro imo. 7g won't be going thru that much that quickly other than in the summer (1/2-gal/day). waterchanges won't be that much either, depending on frequency.

the tap filter is fine for fish but ime inverts did not react as well.

it's not potable water according to the directions. if it ain't even good enough for human consumption, there's no way it's good enough for corals imo.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on what RC said. Your setup sounds great to me as is otherwise. I don't think you'll need an extra powerhead, but a small one around 50 gph couldn't hurt.

Look for a small fish. My sig has a link to some. I'd go with a firefish, yellowtail damsel, or an orchid dottyback.

DongShenYin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid that the water I'll buy will be distilled in copper pipes... Does anyone know any copper-free distilled water?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, well I've never had problems with water from the machines at the supermarket. They use RO so copper shouldn't be a huge concern. It's cheaper than buying bottled distilled water also.

BTW, the Aq. Pharm. purifier is basically a deionization unit as far as I know. It worked fine for me--for about 10 gallons worth of water. Waste of money in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an aquaclear 300 in my 5.5 g. I use it to hold a small counter current skimmer instead of a fuge. Works pretty well.
Andy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in the tub with hot water, put a small heater in it, sit it in the sun, put it on top of your heater vent(floor vent).
Andy

DongShenYin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupric, the "fuge" is basically a HOB filter, so it already has its own pump and water return. Pretty convenient. ^__^

As for the TWP, I had already ordered it from That Pet Place.... oops. The only things I don't have on my list are the chiller and the tank inhabitants.

Matt, why did the TWP only give you 10 gallons?

DongShenYin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Well the SW people here are crazy... they say the water is good enough to use out of the tap and some of them don't bother with any purifiers. I didn't want to take any chances, being a newbie and all lol

DongShenYin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, anyone have any favorite RO systems? Or RO/DI? I don't know anything about plumbing... which ones come with faucet attachments?

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DongShenYin":wz2fie2m said:
Well the SW people here are crazy... they say the water is good enough to use out of the tap and some of them don't bother with any purifiers. I didn't want to take any chances, being a newbie and all lol
i hear NYC water is suppose to be very good. (source-wise from the system) i think it depends on the infrastructure too (lead content, contaminates, etc.).

my water (just 3-miles away) is near undrinkable from the tap imo. too much lead from ancient solderings. some of the old buildings/connections in NYC also have the same issue whereas the newer portions are probably ok and have excellent quality water. not all tap is 'created' equal. but as you mentioned, better safe than very sorry.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe quality, maybe junk. Hard to say.

Honestly though I think a RO/DI is unnecessary for such a small tank. If you top off a gallon a week and do two 25% water changes (that's a lot on both) That's still only 7 gallons a month max. That would cost 7 x 25 cents at my local supermarket. Hard to jutify a RO/DI unit with such a tiny tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: